• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Vixen

Started by HuntnCarve, October 12, 2013, 08:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

Been seeing and hearing a lot of red fox out back.  Here's a Vixen that was down below this morning.  She was eating bugs from what I could see. 
The other night I heard a couple fighting.  So I went out on the deck with a call and a red light.  A few calls later they were both 20 yards away, red eyes a glowing.  The big one shuffled off, but the littler one proceeded to root around.  It climbed atop the wood pile (seen in the photo below) and was letting off little "mewing" sounds.  Eventually it made it's way into the corn and on down the line.
I have no intentions of hunting them, as I use them for my "test subjects" when I make a new call. LOL!

Took this one (below) through my binos.  Sorry for the blur.

HuntnCarve
Dave

Dave

I'm sure they make daily visits to your honey hole to see if the red gods laid anything on the alter!
Nice pics, too.  I've tried to snap photos through my binoculars, too, but with no success.

FinsnFur

Thats pretty cool.
So the calls worked.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Dave,

When I saw Vixen I immediately thought of a Sako rifle.  So, are you now going to be shooting fox from your deck as well as groundhogs?

Jerry

JohnP

I'm with Jerry when I saw Vixen I immediately thought of my little Sako Vixen.223

Nice pictures Dave.  Do you ever see them taking any of the groundhogs you kill?
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

snafu

Cool little critter huh, Dave. I think they have the most beautiful fur. I've seen active Red den sites. With domestic cat, coon & skunk remains. An awesome little hunter/killer lb for lb.
"Smartest man, knows but a grain of sand. In the desert of truth"

HuntnCarve

John P, I'd much rather have your "Vixen."  :laf:  Might be a tad hard on the pelts however.  I like to use a .22 magnum when I fox hunt.  Down at Dave's where we do a lot of fox hunting, it's a "rimfire" only unit.  Never felt under gunned with the .22 magnum down there.  Hopefully this year Dave and I will be able to take Dante out and let him do the shooting.  That'll mean I become designated caller and Dave becomes designated light man.  I highly recommend him. :congrats:

I've never seen them actually eating a hog out back, but I know they are the ones hauling off my HH victims.  Must be like Thanksgiving for them when a hog suddenly appears.  :laf:

Dave