• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Shaving my beaver...

Started by Coulter, November 05, 2013, 12:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

No really...well, plucking and shearing it anyway. I was going to try and get a new beaver hat and mittens done before I leave for the Adirondack trapline, but I have waaay too many irons in the fire right now. I doubt I'll get it done. Anyway, here's my partially plucked and sheared beaver.

Thanks for looking at my beaver,
Steve

coyote101

That is one hairy beaver.  :biggrin:  :alscalls:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Todd Rahm

That's cool Steve! Is hard work or just tedious?

possumal

That's a big, hairy beaver too, Coulter.  It looks soft and cuddly too.  :biggrin: :biggrin:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

Hawks Feather

If you wouldn't have had your iron in the fire you could have spent more time on the beaver.

Jerry

HaMeR

You old beaver shaver you!!  :alscalls: :alscalls:  You sure you wanna shave your beaver? Winter is on the way ya know!! I don't think shaved beaver mittens would be very warm.  :shrug: :shrug:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

weedwalker

Beaver is warm on your head. And I think shaved beaver would make a great facemask too.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Coulter

Oh man Glen...you have no idea how warm these things are, even shaved. My old hat and mittens saw use on the trapline when it was minus 6 degrees and blizzard conditions outside...I was sweating in them. That's why I need to make myself another set. I still kick myself for selling off my other hats and mittens. Come on up, I'll let you touch my beaver...bwahahahaha.

I sold another set to a guy I work with, he uses them when he's out snow blowing his driveway. My daughter still has her beaver mittens and still wears them. She just mentioned wearing them on our next ADK climb.

Todd...it's more tedious than anything. It's not really hard, but it will produce some dandy blisters if you don't wrap your fingers with something.

Thanks guys,
Steve

riverboss

No Video? I seen a few shaved but always wanted to watch :alscalls:

HaMeR

:nono:  No thanks Steve!! I'll take your word for how soft your beaver is!!!!!!!!  :laf: :laf:  I suppose they would be rather warm. I aint never seen a beaver shivering.  :nono: :nono:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

possumal

Gotta pay attention to Big Ed.  He is always worrying about keeping his face warm. He know stuff. :biggrin: :biggrin:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

FinsnFur

It's kinda tough to see in the pic, but hows it turning out? What are you using Steve?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

The topic title reminded me of this enterprising young lad.......

Coulter

Love the young entrepreneur picture Semp. It's sure good to see the kids getting a good start in their future business ventures.

Jimbo...I pondered the though of using a young Vietnamese lad to pluck and shear my beaver. But I don't use them for making calls so I thought better of the idea and I'm doing it myself with my wifes taped up butter knife (she wasn't real happy about that). I'm probably going to grab a piece of wood in the same basic shape and tape that up instead. The sticky side of the tape is left on the outside to provide grip on the guard hairs. After I have it plucked I shear it with an electric razor with a #3 guard. It's turning out very plush...just like my wifes coat we had made last year.

Steve