• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Any Glock owners?

Started by nastygunz, January 21, 2014, 09:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

I have always been interested in a Glock, I heard and read they are tough as nails, eat any kind of ammo and mever ftf. However, I once went out shooting with a friend who had just bought a Glock 9 mm. I was shooting a Smith & Wesson .357 revolver. He was picking on me about using a revolver, that is until I started nailing the target every shot, and he kept missing it! I said let me give the plastic gun a try. I ran two magazines through it, and discovered it was shooting way to the right, and way low. After compensating for that by shooting way to the left and high I started hitting the target. He was really angry about that, as the gun had fixed sights and there was no way to adjust them. I was wondering if any other Glock owners have run across this problem, and as most of the guns I have seen have fixed sights, are they usually dead on POA?
I have never bought one since then, after seeing his experience.

slagmaker

i bave shot a  couple glocks and havnt really formed an opinion on them.  but i would like to try them some.more
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

nastygunz

Im interested in a 10 mm but not with fixed sights!

KySongDog

I have some experience with Glocks.  I bought my first one back in the mid '80's.  It was a first generation (there are 4 generations now) G17 which is 9mm.  I put thousands of rounds through it with never a hiccup.  I should have kept it.  But at that point in my life,  I was in the buy-shoot-trade for something else new and shiny and then repeat stage of gun ownership. 

Somewhere along the line, I got in to the buy, shoot and hold stage. Which is where I'm at now.   I have several Glocks with the latest being a Gen4 Glock 21 (.45ACP).   

Glocks take a little bit getting used to the trigger.  It is a striker fired gun.  If the gun you shot was shooting low right it could have been due to poor trigger control or the sights.  The standard sights on most Glocks are basic plastic that can be adjusted for windage (drift the rear sight).  Taller or lower front sights can be installed to adjust for elevation.   Also, there are a bazillion after market sights for the Glock pistol.

So in summary, the sights can be corrected easily.  If trigger control was the problem, a lot of dry fire practice will help greatly in getting accustomed to the unique Glock trigger pull.

If you go to glocktalk(dot)com you can find out everything you ever wanted to know about Glocks. 

slagmaker

thank you.for the chart semp. been looking for that. very usefull on figuring out whats happening or causing problems
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

bigave0924

OP are you left or right handed? It's not uncommon for a lot of people to hit the target low left if they're right handed and low right if they're left handed when shooting striker fired guns.
Using Tapatalk

Hawks Feather

Like Semp I have had Glocks since the 80's and I have been very happy with mine.  All of mine are .40 S&W and I went this route over the 10mm simply because of the availability of brass and loaded rounds for that caliber.  If I were looking for additional power I would probably go to the .45 and not the 10mm.  No real reason for that other than that is the way my brain works or maybe doesn't work.  I have shot all of my Glocks from a rest and found that they were sighted in fairly well and grouped good enough for me.  I am not an accurate pistol shooter and figure that as long as I can hit center mass on a 'Bad Guy' target that it should work fairly well for me.  After hitting center mass I can walk up and shoot for the head.  (Two in the chest and one in the head and even the Jolly Green Giant falls dead.)   :biggrin:

I do like my wheel guns and prefer them when when giving instruction to kids or my wife.  They are easy to operate and you don't have to remember to click off any safety since there isn't one there.  I am not the biggest fan of cleaning the revolver and much prefer to clean the Glock.

Jerry

Coulter

I still have my Glock 31 (.357 Sig) that I qualified with year after year...no issues for me. We actually tansitioned from a .357 revolver, man I hated that gun. My glock has the trillium sights for night shooting, now that's fun! I doubt I'll ever sell my Glock...that gun is a keeper in my opinion. Sounds like your buddy needs more range time.

Steve

nastygunz

Hes a police officer and marine, and gets a bit of range time in :wink:, I did some googling and found lots of info about glocks point of aim and shooting, good stuff, thanks for the insight gentlemen!

nastygunz

Ill have to get my mitts on one n see how i like it, i like the looks and capacity and everything i hear is they shoot no matter what.

MI VHNTR

I had a Glock 20 in 10mm years ago. It's long gone, mainly because of the lousy trigger. It reminded me of a toy dart gun that I had when I was a kid. Besides, it's not a Colt 1911.  :eyebrownod:
The Second Amendment isn't about Hunting.
It's about Freedom.

Let's Go Brandon.  FJB

Frogman

I'm a 1911 guy myself.  That was my first centerfire handgun and I have shot them a lot in IDPA competition.  I recently acquired a Glock 19 to demonstrate to my concealed carry classes.  I like it really well, but it just points high for me due to the different grip angle than the 1911.  It just takes me a little longer to bring the sights down on target with it.  I still haven't shot it much.

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!