• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Back from fishing N. Saskatchewan

Started by Okanagan, June 14, 2014, 11:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okanagan

The biggest average size fish I've lucked into in Sask.  Had a couple of hour long stretches with a fish nearly every cast in a concentration of pike.  We got into lake trout as well with the best laker maybe 11 lbs. smallest 4 or 5 pounds.  My smallest below.  Didn't get much for a photo of larger ones.

The lure is a west coast salmon trolling plug (King Kandy)  that really did well on lakers, getting more strikes than anything else we used.  I tried a couple of colors and the best was a grey fish scale finish, not shown.

We were into the southern edge of shield country, that vast granite slab covered with lakes.

A few friends gathered at a ramshackle log house a half hour boat ride from the nearest road.  Roof leaked but food was good.

Baked lake trout, deep fried boneless pike & a pan of spuds below.

Apple pie on the left and wild blueberry pie on the right.  We had a propane fridge and so had Breyer's French Vanilla ice cream to go with the pie.  Privation rations.

My rain pants turned out to be full of holes on the seat where I have sat on logs.  They work fine when standing but soaked my rear totally when sitting on a wet boat cushion in the rain.  Duct tape to the rescue.

Dale

sounds like y'all had a great trip... welcome back...
when you step out of the truck you become part of the food chain...

Carolina Coyote

Man what a meal!! love that kind of stuff, great trip and thanks for sharing.  :bowingsmilie: cc

coyote101

Great pictures!  :highclap: Dinner looks fantastic.  :thumb2: I've still never caught a lake trout. On my recent trip to Canada, the guy in the front of the canoe caught six lakers one afternoon and I caught none.  :madd: Maybe next year.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

slagmaker

looks like you had a great time.

thanks for sharing
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Okanagan

Quote from: coyote101 on June 14, 2014, 03:21:37 PM
Great pictures!  :highclap: Dinner looks fantastic.  :thumb2: I've still never caught a lake trout. On my recent trip to Canada, the guy in the front of the canoe caught six lakers one afternoon and I caught none.  :madd: Maybe next year.

Pat

I hear you.    It took me six fishing trips into lake trout water, scattered over 25 years, before I caught one.  Others in the boat with me caught a good many over those years.

Last week was my first time ever to catch a lake trout, and I caught three.  Keep after them!

Coulter

Cool trip report...that country look A LOT like the Adirondacks where I camp in November. Getting the itch already...

Steve

Hawks Feather

That looks like a great place to hang out - great fishing and even better looking food!

Jerry

JohnP

I think I'm beginning to hate you and Pat.

Glad you had a good time and the chow looks great.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

FinsnFur

Looks like a lot of fun...and the food..holy cow!
Thats a nice fat Pike too. Thanks for sharing the story. :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Okanagan

Quote from: JohnP on June 16, 2014, 11:15:15 AM
I think I'm beginning to hate you and Pat.

John, am pondering on a snappy reply but my ponderer is dim tonight!

Dave

Great pics!  You're making us all jealous of both the fishing and the grub.  Luckily I have some fresh flounder I'm cooking up with some sliced lemon and old bay for dinner in about 5 minutes.  I'll bake it on some tin foil, too!

Okanagan

Quote from: Dave on June 17, 2014, 02:34:12 PM
Great pics!  You're making us all jealous of both the fishing and the grub.  Luckily I have some fresh flounder I'm cooking up with some sliced lemon and old bay for dinner in about 5 minutes.  I'll bake it on some tin foil, too!

Fresh flounder, not frozen?  Sounds good!  I've been hungry for fish all day and you aggravated it.  Had to settle for venison pot roast for the second supper in a row. My wife made it yesterday in the crock pot and it was even better today.