• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Hello From Alaska

Started by Tikaani, December 15, 2015, 08:06:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikaani

I had some time so I thought I would send a post from the "Land of the Frigging Cold and Dark" Winter came pretty early here this year, we had three snow falls in mid September totaling about 36" here on Moose Mtn. the last one dumped 22" and did not melt for the most part. Since then we have had another 36" or so and the woodstove is getting a workout. Here are some pictures of some of the years events.

The Iditarod started in Fairbanks this year, so Dian and I ran the snowmachines down the Chena River to watch, was a very nice day.

Spring Black bear this year was a bust as a Grizzly came in and destroyed everything, tore apart two trail cams and crapped on them and ripped anything that it felt it had too. Retrieved the SD cards and had hundreds of pictures of nothing, except these two photos of the perp. I will set up early in the Spring and try to recoup my losses with his hide.

Our annual salmon run was successful as we caught about 150 in an hour and a half. Dian and I smoked most of our share.

Fall hunt produced this respectable 50" moose. Dian and I butchered and processed our half and also made 50lbs of Summer Sausage and Pepper Sticks.

Winter hunt brought us two more moose that were divided between three families.

Wolf killed bull we stumbled onto.

Pictures of our first Ice fishing trip for Pike, kept 17 for the freezer.

Sunrise

Take Care All and Have a Merry Christmas
John

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

FinsnFur

WOW!  I was thrilled just to hear from ya. Then all those pics made it like an early Christmas gift. :biggrin:  Great pics!
You give the phrase "living the dream" a whole new perspective. :eyebrownod: You are definitely earning it too :wink: It sure is good to hear from ya.

We've had one snow squall, here in Wisconsin. It dumped close to a foot of snow and we've been in our bikinis ever since. Sunshine, rain and fricken mud.  :doh2: :puke:

Thinking bout mowing the yard this weekend. ok, I made that part up. :innocentwhistle:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

slagmaker

Now those are some pics! Thanks for sharing.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

Okanagan

Yes!  Great pics and good to hear from you.

KySongDog

Good to hear from you, John.  I see you put tracks on the Argo. That has got to help a bunch.   Nice pics.  Wish I was there. 

Johnny

pitw

So grizzly's and I act the same around trail cams :confused:.  I always thought they was tough, now I find out they are smart too.
Great herd of pics there John. :bowingsmilie:   Just another year, eh. :whew:
I say what I think not think what I say.

HuntnCarve

John,

Glad to see you and Dian are still kicking and living the life.  The photos were great.  Looks like Winter came to Alaska pretty quick.  We're dealing with record high temps down this way.  I did see some snow way back in October.  Hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas and a Joyous New Year!  Don't be a stranger.

Dave

Hawks Feather

Great images and even better to see what you have been doing lately.  I love the sled dog images and would also really enjoy slicing into a medium-rare moose steak.  Like Dave said we have had really warm temps but it is to drop to a high of 30 on Friday - what you refer to as summer.  Merry Christmas.

Jerry

trailtwister

Loved the pictures. I liked the sled dogs the best however. I burn wood to heat my home too and it is rough this year. There are a lot of open window days because of nights in the mid 30F range and day time highs from the high 40F range to mid 60F range. Set a 3 day high temp record over the week end of 59F Friday 63F Saturday and 65F on Sunday. We did have 10.5 inches of snow in late Nov that lasted a couple days. Hating this prolonged mud season my self.

Have a great holiday season.

:eyebrownod:  Al
Your not fully dressed with out a smile.

nailbender

Some great pics thanks for sharing! Merry Christmas to you and Dian.

coyote101

Good to hear you're alive and well, John.  :biggrin: Great pictures, thanks for sharing.  :yoyo:

Pat

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing