• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Duty.

Started by nastygunz, January 24, 2016, 09:18:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nastygunz

The meaning of Duty,Honor,Country, isnt completeley dead in this nation:

Soldiers Stand Guard at Tomb of the Unknowns as Winter Storm Jonas Pounds D.C.
Jan 23, 2016, 12:00 AM
Arlington National Cemetery is shut down as Winter Storm Jonas pummels the nation's capital, but soldiers who stand guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns have continued their duty.

Tomb Sentinels from the Army's 3rd Infantry Regiment's Old Guard have guarded the memorial â€" no matter the weather â€" for 24 hours a day, 365 days a year since 1937. The Tomb is the final resting place for Unknowns from World War I, World War II, and the Korean War.

"These guys will be out in the snow, no matter what," said Major Russell Fox, a spokesman for the Army's Old Guard told ABC News.

Fox said the soldiers will shovel snow from the plaza so it will not impede their duty.

The guards march in front of the tombs for 21 paces, then face north to stand at attention for 21 seconds before marching 21 paces in the other direction. The guard is changed every 30 minutes during the summer and every hour during the winter.

At night and in bad weather they are allowed to stay in a small enclosure made of green cloth with an awning, known as "the box", for two-hour intervals.

Line eight of Sentinel's Creed refers to the "discomfort of the elements." Because of their dedication, the weather does not bother them. It is considered an honor to walk the mat during inclement weather.

During Hurricane Sandy, one soldier stood watch over the tomb for an unprecedented 23 hours.

slagmaker

When I was a young scout on they way the the national jamboree I got to see the changing of the guard. I am very proud to say I got to witness this solemn ceremony.

The guards for this tomb will always have my depest reapects.

Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

FinsnFur

I seen a pic of the guard, or so I believe it was. Standing tall, proud and silent...but blanketed with layer of snow as if he were a mule deer bedded down under a pine tree.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com