• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Been up to no good...

Started by Coulter, April 19, 2007, 05:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

Making turkey calls. :shrug: Just finished this order and will be delivering it tonight. I hope they sell well in this guys store. There are 4 curly maple, 2 wlanut, 2 hickory, 1 cherry, and 1 redheart calls.

The strikers are Bubinga, walnut, Curly Maple, Bloodwood and hickory

Here is a better shot of the redheart on the right...I really like this one...

and lastly the Birdseye maple box call...

HaMeR

I'm glad I don't live close to THAT store!! I wouldn't have enough left to buy those & the flowers!! :laf:

Those are some real nice calls. Nicely done. :congrats:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Bob D

Nice work. Pretty group of calls.

THO Game Calls

WOW!  Very nice.  All of them - that box is great and the strikers have a nice style to them.

You're a very talented call maker.  Glad to see some variety here.   

AL
THO Game Calls
www.thogamecalls.com
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

vvarmitr

That box call is sweet & the others aren't to shabby either. :laf: Seriously Coulter good work! :congrats:

Coulter

Thanks guys, I appreciate all of the comments. To be honest with ya...I got bored making these calls. Mainly because there was no element of surprise. All of the calls excpet the maple and redheart are just plain straight grained wood. That is what the customer ordered to try to keep his cost down a bit. As far as the curly maple goes, I used what I had on hand and figured I would only charge him for straight grain. I had to throw something with some flare in the mix.

Al...variety is the spice of life :eyebrownod: :eyebrownod:

vvarmitr...I'll return your PM this evening. My lunch is over and I have to get back to work :madd:

Thanks again guys. :biggrin:

Steve

Hawks Feather

Those are very nice looking turkey calls.  If you really want to add some spice to making your turkey calls, use some burls.  You never know when something is going to happen with them. 

Jerry

Coulter

I would much rather use burls and some highly figured woods, but he is the customer and wanted to go with something a bit more friendly to his wallet and see how they sell. That is another reason I snuck in some of the curly stuff. maybe it will give them a bit of a boost. We'll see how it goes....

ninthinning

Beautiful workmanship.  How do you get the strikers all so close in shape?  All the turkey calls look first class.  That box is a real gem. 
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

keekee

Great looking work! When you get cought up give me a yell!

Brent

Coulter

I just eye-ball it for the most part. That is what makes each one unique. The only measurement I take is the overall length and width of the blank. Then I takle another striker and hold mit up to the blank to get a general idea of where to start the taper. I will sometimes measure the thickness of the thin part of the striker, just to make sure they are falling into a certain designated range :innocentwhistle:

Well I just got back from delivering them all, now I am nearly empty for stock. Time to get some more turned :biggrin:

Thanks again,
Steve

Todd Rahm

Man, I don't know squat about turkey calls, but I really thank that box call is smoke'n.  :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: The rest just look like coyote locators to me.  :innocentwhistle:

FinsnFur

Holy inventory  :huh: You been busy
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com