• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Pretty Howler - blackwood aboyna burl and brass.

Started by ninthinning, April 14, 2007, 05:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninthinning

This has to be one of the prettiest howlers.  The horn is aboyna burl and the tone board African blackwood.  Surpisingly loud while maintaining a sweet howl.  Play quiet long lone howl or yip, yowl and bark up a storm.  $55

Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

CypressSlough

9th, that is one great looking howler. If I wasn't tapped out buying supplies, she would be mine. Brian.
www.All-TerrainOutdoors.com
Brian Keahey
Texarkana, TX 75503

Purgatory_Predator_Calls

Eric,

Nice looking call.  The band sure is shiny!

:wink: Joey
When you feel like you can't take another step, ALWAYS take one more!

Bygog!

www.purgatorypredatorcalls.com
CPCMCA www.custompredatorcallassociation.com

ninthinning

Thank you guys.  I live near an oil field supply store that carries heavy brass oil well polish rod liner.  Made enough duck and predator callsover the years to use 17 feet of brass liner 1/3" at a time.  The African blackwood toneboard is super hard.  I have used this blackwood  in duck calls and it works great.  It is as loud as acrylic but has a more natural sound.  A few years ago I ended up with a bunch of 3 1/2" blackwood cutoffs.   Besides acrylic I like bloodwood, snakewood and African blackwood for toneboards.
9th
Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

Brad H

Brass polish rod liner? That's different. All we've ever gotten around here is the steel. And that's smaller looking too. I think the smallest available here is 1.25 if I remember right. Great idea though, a chunk of that would last a long time.

Beautiful howler, Eric. I need to get one of yours one of these days.

Brad

BasinBoy

vvarmitr

That is sooo sweet Eric. If I hadn't blown my wad on reloading supplies I'd be checking out that slight bevel on the tone board. :wink: :laf:

ninthinning

Brad H.,
   The oil well polish rod liner I use is 1.25"  Try the stainless steel if you can't get brass.  Stainless shines up amazing but it is very hard and difficult to work.  I like brass because it can be shaped with regular wood lathe tools.

BasinBoy,
   Its shiney but its been shinier.  First I get a high polish then put a satin finish on it.  Been trying to do engraving but its a high skill craft and it could be ages before I use engraved brass bands on my calls.

vvarmiter,
   That long thin reed really does make a sweet pure coyote howl.  The tone board is a little quiet, when teamed with a tapered horn its loud.

Thank you,
9th

bearmanric

very classy Eric. really nice shape. all are my favorate wood's. Rick

ninthinning

Thanks Rick,
Bought 23 different colors of cast acrylic rod from Delvies.  Here are two toneboard sets I made last night.  I cut a super loud tone board into the tip of the blesbok horn.   That turkey you shot sure looked fine.  Missed all the troubles.  Some how I didn't see any of that until yesterday. 
9th

desert dog

www.reeselanyards.com

"what you pay for your calls is your business, protecting them is ours"

awh

Very nice Eric. I really like the tone boards.  :yoyo:
My views and opinions are based upon being banned from a place that has no morals or the common sense God gave to a pecker gnat. I also hate frogs and will reply to such at any given chance. Thank You.

FinsnFur

Hmmmmm :confused: I missed this...but those tone boards are Kewl!  :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com