• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

A question...

Started by Arkyyoter, July 20, 2007, 11:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkyyoter

OK guys....I have an earnest question here, and would like earnest answers. I value ya'lls opinions, so that's why I am asking. Please look at the pictures below...the call on the right in the first picture and all the remaining pictures, is the call of which I speak. It seems no matter where I go, I  keep coming back to this basic shape. I had tried a year or two ago to standardize on one shape, and built quite a few of them, but something was lacking in my minds eye. I like this shape, and would appreciate your comments. It fits the hand well, hangs properly on a lanyard, has the mouth I like...never mind the internals, as they are correct...please don't concern your replies with the material either, but the shape is my question. Does this shape appear to be overly similar to any one else's?  Is this shape aesthetically pleasing? Is it a shape I can call my own, and standardize my closed reeds after this fashion? Should I??

At this particular juncture of call making, it seems it would behoove one to ask, so I am asking...be honest ( I know ya'll always are...that's why I am asking). I would appreciate your critique.

Thanks in advance...

Joe

studabaka

I can only answer the pleasing part........ out of the park  :biggrin:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

Hawks Feather

Joe,

I can't think of anyone making one along those lines - outside of you.  There might be someone that isn't posting on many of the "normal" sites, but I haven't noticed anything that looks like yours that I can remember.  I like the shape and think that the size looks good and I don't see any reason that you can't call it your own.  If you like it and it feels good to you, then make them.

If you are like me, one shape just seems to come naturally.  I have tried to make a few different shapes on my call bodies and when I get done they look pretty much like the last one that I did.  The wood starts turning and the same shape happens for me. 

Jerry

THO Game Calls

It's a very pretty design.  Does anyone else use it?  Not that I know of, but if it sells, you might have some competition.

I think call design is something unique to each of us Joe.  We turn something one day and it just clicks - and you know you have a winner - that call is a winner.  I would be proud to call that design my own, and you should be. 

On the other hand, never get satsfied with what you have.  I know I am preaching to the choir, but sometimes we get into a rut, and thinking out side the box can lead to some neat stuff.  As for that, just leaving that design exactly as it is, and drilling it out so it will accept a tone board would make for a wonderful matched set.   It doesn't have to be just a closed reed call.

I think the biggest thing for custom call makers is to make something that is not just a production call in a fancy body.  We have to make our calls look (and sound of course) special.   

I think back to something Zig Ziglar once said, and it could apply here.  When we make a call we should strive to make it an Ohhhh and Ahhhh call.  When people frist see it, the say Ohhhhh and then when they hear it they go Ahhhhh.

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

keekee

I like it Joe! The shape looks good, looks like if feels good in the hand as well. I don't recall every seeing anyone turn one like that. If you like it go for it!

Brent

bowjunkie

:yoyo: I like the hell outa it .. whatcha gonna do with that particular lil call  :innocentwhistle: I know where theres one simular that it would go well with  :biggrin:  and its sposed ta have a matchin open reed to  :eyebrow: 

in all honesty Joe that shape says Arky ever time I look at it  :congrats:

DirtyDog

Joe,

I love the call. I don't think anyone person has that particular style that I can think of. :confused: I just hope that one day I can be lucky enough to own one of them calls.  :eyebrow:

Todd Rahm

I can't recall any thing like it at all Joe, especially on your two piece. I do like like the whole look of that two piece call.

FOsteology

Joe,

You my friend have come a long way in a short period of time. Always pushing himself.... always striving to improve whether it be your techniques, material, sound, or just plain innovation. The call shape looks good to my eye, and I can't seem to recall anyone else who's pattern falls in line. The size and dimensions IMHO look like it would palm and blow easily.

FinsnFur

I think it's ugly, dumb colors, wouldn't fit anyones hand, poorly crafted, and probably sounds like garbage  :iroll:

You insufferable son of a %&*$@

:roflmao:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Looks like it fits the hand nicely Joe!! Purdy cool lookin call you got there. I say make a bunch & sell em all!! :biggrin:

And don't mind Jim!! He's just jealous!! :roflmao:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Arkyyoter

Thanks guys.... I really do appreciate the comments...  :hahaha: even old IP's  :eyebrow: :shck:

Joe

FinsnFur

Had to make sure you were really reading these  :eyebrownod:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coyote Dr

Top notch Joe. I like the design :eyebrow: Very unique. Some of us wish we were only half as good.