• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Oh no !! hole in damn !!! run fer yer lives !!

Started by Silencer, July 23, 2007, 07:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

Earlier in the week, there had been reports of a large hole in the dam that spans the Susquehanna River between the boros of Oakland and Susquehanna Depot. At the July 12 meeting of the Oakland Boro Council, the boro's representative to the board of River Bounty, Cynthia Beavan, put council's minds at ease and explained the situation. Yes, there is a hole in the dam; the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) had conducted an inspection of the dam a short time ago and had been aware that there was a hole. After a complaint had been made earlier in the week about the hole and the amount of water that was running through it, FERC and an engineer familiar with the dam conducted another inspection. The dam itself was not meant for flood control, Mrs. Beavan said. It had been built some time in the late 1800's to power a mill. In 1928, concrete had been poured over the original timber dam, and the hydro-electric plant at the site had been built in the mid-1960's. FERC would like the hole fixed, she said, but there would be no danger to anyone if the dam were to collapse. The situation looks worse than it is; where water normally flows more calmly over the dam, most of it is presently flowing through the hole. Mrs. Beavan said that the hydro-electric plant operator is working with FERC to get the hole fixed; he would like to get the smaller turbine up and running first so that some of the water would be diverted, making it easier to fix the hole. Plans for the repairs have been submitted to FERC.

This "hole" has been there for quite a long time, it just got a bit bigger and I guess some "big-wig" must have finally spotted it.  The hole is located where the fish steps were taken out some years ago  :doh2:   The steps were taken out so more water could be diverted to run the turbines and fish supposedly could run up the turbine shutes.  Now.. here's the kicker, the turbines have been shut off and completely closed  for a couple years now and the fish have no crossing to the upper side of the river, but I'm sure I'll be told they can still migrate up the turbines..

I'm really surprised the fish commission isnt invovled in this. 

Todd Rahm

DirtyDog

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bowjunkie

Quote from: Todd Rahm on July 23, 2007, 07:44:47 AM
Sounds all FERC'd up to me?  :innocentwhistle:

:roflmao: now thats a nice way to spell fubar so I'll have ta 4th it   :biggrin:

Silencer

Lmao  :roflmao:  This is just another form of govt., local this time,  thinking they know all and dont know a "damn"thing.  The rep of river bounty has never spent time on the river and I'll guarantee you that.     It is all FERC'ed up !!!

HaMeR

WOW!! And they make how much $$ to finally notice a hole that size?? :rolleye:

Those is some clebber folks right there.  :wo:

Add me to the "FERC'ed up" list too. :eyebrownod:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

ohiobob

Everyone KNOWS that to stop a Dam leak all you have to do is stick your Finger in a Dyke,,My Neighbor Lady Has SHORT hair and has a Chain Wallet AND wears Flannel Shirts YEAR ROUND,,So I can get the address for the FERC'ed Committe if they want it,,she might let them "Plug" The Dyke ??? they might want to wear "Burnin Goggles" because she is NOT a looker  :puke:  :puke:  :puke:  BUT its the only Dyke I know
Bob
You don't shoot to kill; you shoot to stay alive.

A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone!!!

Bushmaster Predator .223,,4x14 Burris

Parke-Hale .22-.250 6x24 Tasco

Red Fag is a "Ruling Queen" Then ???

CCP

Been real busy lately so haven't been on much. I did get today off so I went ahead and fixed the dam for the fine folks of Oakland Boro. If they need anymore assistance please let me know. :roflmao:

easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

iahntr

Scott

Silencer

HaMeR

Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11