• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Just out of curiosity....

Started by Purgatory_Predator_Calls, August 05, 2007, 03:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Purgatory_Predator_Calls

I'm sure most of you have seen this and I'm sorry to have posted it again.  But after watching it for the third time I've come to wonder how many of you actually use the techniques demonstrated in this clip.

I saw a lot of things in this clip that I did not care for.  Like reaching over the turning saw blade and the lack of visible dust collection.  Make no mistake, this is by no means a criticism thread.  Heck the guy looks like he knows what he's doing, and that he has all his fingers.  Just curious is all.

Bout the only thing I do the same is drill the 9/32" hole last. 

DISCLAIMER: I have absolutly no idea who this feller is.  For all I know it's one of you guys.  Although he does seem to have a halfway decent taste for music.   :innocentwhistle:

Yoey
When you feel like you can't take another step, ALWAYS take one more!

Bygog!

www.purgatorypredatorcalls.com
CPCMCA www.custompredatorcallassociation.com

Hawks Feather

Yoey,

It isn't me.  I have a little Jet lathe with not near as much power at that one.  I would be interested to see him open up a stick of Ironwood like he did that piece of wood.   :innocentwhistle:   I did notice a hose in by the chop saw, but didn't see one by the lathe.  Kind of makes you go hum.  When I was younger I probably would have reached over the blade like he did, but I consider myself a little wiser now and have greater respect for things that can quickly tear hunks of your flesh away quickly. 

Yerry

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bills Custom Calls

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Coyote Dr

I got bit by the drill press today. Bled like a stuck pig lol. But wouldnt think about reaching over the saw. It wasnt me.

Purgatory_Predator_Calls

I'm sure all of us have reached over a saw blade at one time or another in effort to save time and get to what we really enjoy, TURNING. 

But what I was more referring to was the turning of the inside of the bell before the had been turned to round.  And the applying of the finish.  I personally apply the finish in the absolutely last step, besides tuning the reed.  I've found that applying the finish any sooner only leads to a sub standard finish.  I would think that if this guy applied a friction polish before turning the outside shape that the wood spacer he uses would mar the finish of the inside of the bell.  Especially if there is any heat build up from the turning/sanding process. 

It's interesting none the less though. 

Yerry, I've taken longer to get a piece of ironwood turned to round than it took this guy to make the entire call!

Yim, the more and more I'm around here the more and more I see you're hand in everything!   :eyebrownod:

Doc, take care of that injury man.  But rest assured we've ALL had our own little injuries.

Yoey

Bygog!

THO Game Calls

QuoteI'm sure all of us have reached over a saw blade at one time or another in effort to save time and get to what we really enjoy, TURNING. 

ummmmm.....no.   Never.   I am scared to death of the darn things.  Totally.   My saw has a blade gaurd on it, and when not in use, the blade is completely retracted into the machine. 

Honestly, I hate table saws.  So much so that the next piece of shop equipment is going to be the one that falls away when you do touch the blade. 

I'll use the miter saw, the band saw, and hand saw, but the table saw is a last resort.

I have a hard time with video's like this.   The guy is an accident waiting to happen, and someone somewhere is going to watch that, copy him, and get seriusly hurt.

I agree that the bushings will mar the inside of the call, but he is using a friction polish and that is probably the only way he knows how to do it.

I would take a 9/32 bolt about 3 inches long, cut the head off, wrap a bit of white first aide tape on the bolt and put it in my drill press.  Slide the call on the bolt (tape gives a snug fit) turn the drill press up to a medium speed and apply the friction polish after I was done with the turning.   That way you have no maring of the inside from the bushings.

I do all the insides of my calls this way, varying the bolt size.  It's pretty easy and fast and I think I get a good finish on the inside. 

He did make a neat looking call though didn't he?

AL
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

Purgatory_Predator_Calls

LOL it's not my style of call, but I'm sure someone  :shrug: will like it.  See the comments, someone wants to buy one!

joey

Bygog!

Bopeye

Wow..........I thought the whole thing was pretty interesting.  :highclap:

I hope he was wearing a protective pad for his gonads when using that table saw. I use to work at Aristocraft, which is now called Masterbrand. They make cabinets. I've seen more than a few people working the saws have a piece of wood come flying back at them and really booger them up.
One fella had about an 18" "splinter" enter his arm just below his right elbow and stick out just under his tricep. He couldn't bend his arm as the splinter was still sticking out on both ends. It was '91 when that happened so I really don't remember how they got the thing out.  :iroll:
It was pretty gnarly though......
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Hawks Feather

Back in 1991 they would just give you another thicker splinter to bite on and pull that splinter out.  Then they would throw a little antiseptic on it, put a bandaid on the large holes where it entered and exited, wrap it up good and tight, and put the guy back on the line.   :wink:   Now it would be a TOTALLY different story. 

Jerry

caller223

I agree on danger of table saws, heck for that matter any powered tools.  I do the drilling and turning the bell on unturned stock while in 4 jaw chuck-  then go to mandrel to turn shape.  Friction finishes are neat but I still like to dip in finish so inside of calls are sealed. I leave calls in finish several minutes until all bubbles quit coming out of calls, then hang to dry.
I've started back turning a few calls,  but really tired from chemo/cancer.
Richard Grantham

Todd Rahm

Probably some kid working on his shop video for high school.  :confused:

At any rate in today's market that's a $40 call.  :innocentwhistle:  You do the math 10 hours x 60 minutes, divided by, lets say 30 minutes = about 18-20 calls a day depending union breaks = $720-$800.  :iroll:

Remind ya of anyone or any place?  :confused:

Richard, Its great to see ya posting buddy. I hope all is well, or as well as expected under the circumstances. Would be nice seeing more post from ya if time allows it.  :wink:

straycat

Could be worse !!    Mash the link below !    :laf: :laf:

http://view.break.com/297518
"If you're going to be a smartass, you'd better start by being smart before you start being an ass."

Never put both feet in your mouth at the same time, because then you won't have a leg to stand on.

THO Game Calls

I got to find another shop to work at.

First Yoey talking about lunch breaks and now Todd about Union breaks....

I'm beginning to think my boss is an ass.

Al
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results