• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Little Christmas run!

Started by keekee, December 25, 2007, 09:29:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keekee

I pulled everything yesterday except for 9 sets that are right were I will be starting my Beaver and Otter line in the morning. Water was high yesterday as well, didn't really expect anything this morning but.............

This first coon was one big boy for around here, hit the scales at 21.8 pounds.

The next one had a really Black back on him, made a real nice pelt, he was also a good size coon, more long than fat but hit the scales at 17.11 pounds.

And a even better treat was this big ol Buck Mink. These two pockets here have hit for 14 Mink this year so far. I did a re set again! :biggrin:

Here is a couple live shots I had on the camera as well..............

This is the same pocket or one of them that has hit all the Mink, you can look at the bank and how much the pocket has been worked, its to wide now but there is so much scent there I just keep adding a little more blocking to keep them working in the center.

Beaver and Otter traps hit the water at 7:00 am in the morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

Brent

Hawks Feather

Brent,

That is a big of duffer.  Seems like things were on the move last night.  Probably looking for Christmas gifts - except you got the gifts rather than the critters.  Good luck on the next sets.

Jerry

FinsnFur

Nice load...what's that put you up to now?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

cb223

That looks like a good run to me.

You sure keep busy with all the fur your putting up and the call making and the family and a job and and and!!!!!
CHAD

studabaka

Ho Ho Ho ....... Somebody must have been a good boy this year  :biggrin:

I need to get some sets out as well. Haven't reset since given back from bear hunting, but have been taking my daughter deer hunting. Almost had a shot Christmas eve morning. Maybe we'll get one tomorrow morning.  :fingerx:

Beaver and otter are fun. Get er done Brent  :eyebrow:
"If your argument can only be made or expressed by putting someone else down, then it probably ain't worth spit." -- MicheGoodStone SA Pro Staff

keekee

QuoteNice load...what's that put you up to now?

With out looking at the log book ( its in the shop ) I think those made 102 coons and 30 Mink.

cb223,

Bad thing is I have not put up any fur yet, just skinned and frozen. I dont think I will put the coons up, I will sell them green but everything else Im going to start on this week. And do the beaver and hopefully Otter.

I pulled all my Fox and Coyote sets, and will add a few this week along the beaver line. I still have some good Mink areas left that I havent hit yet, as well as coon. ( If the weather stays warm and dry )  :iroll:

I did get 6 new farms to call and trap today I may trap this week. They are right on the way to were I will start my Beaver line. But I might save them to call later?

Stu,

Getting that deer is high on the list and I dont blame you one bit! Time with the kids is awesome!

Brent

cb223

Dumb question here. I have seen a few posts referring to not doing so well for coon if it is cold and snowy.
I got a coon squaller for Christmas. Am I wasting my time calling for them if it cold and snowy? I would appreciate any other tips.

CHAD

keekee

cb223,

Im no coon caller by no means, but weather depends allot on there movement. If your useing a caller it would be best to be as close to the den tree as you can get. All you need then is for them to come out and have a look.

Seems after we get the first real cold snap they tend to hole up for several days, seems 5-7. After that the move. If there is a warm spell in there they move real good! But as the winter goes on they still haft to eat. The big bores will be moving real good soon due to breading season. Also finding a good food sorse can help allot in finding them, old bards, grain bins, deer feeders and such are easy food for coons, when it gets cold and food is hard to get they dont haft to expend much energy to feed in these places.

But yes they tend to hole up when we get a snow or a real cold snap. I will get coons off and on till season goes out but I target them hard when we get a warm spell. I watch the weather real close and set everytime we get a good break in the weather even if its just for a couple days. A warm spell to me is when I get a swing in temps of 10-20 deg to the warm side of our steady temps.

Brent

cb223

Thank you Brent. That helps alot. I know where a few den trees are on the property I hunt.

Chad
CHAD