• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

GPS on Trapline

Started by Jerry Hunsley, October 22, 2007, 10:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry Hunsley

Today, I went out and put about 30 snares in , only I didn't open them up. Just waiting a couple more weeks. I used my Gps and thought it would be the real cat's meow. I thought I would try and locate some of the snares I put in and found it to be more problem than it worth. Thinking I could follow the gps right to the snare , I found it really hard to locate them.  It seems to not be accurate like I thought. That was a real letdown. Last year I punched in a bunch of places for my cat sets later this winter . I just don't think it's going to work. Luckily I had some marking  tape along and I had to go back and mark everyone one of the snare sets while they were fresh in my mind. They were still hard to find, but I got it done. Lot's of sign and trails so I am excited.  Last year I worked out of my pickup but this year I am using my ATV. It works a little better as it has everything  I need . I don't have to keep going back to the pickup.  Have you guys found the same as me with the Gps ?  :confused:

Brad H

Yep. Last year I tried to GPS all my sets, but some of the deep sandstone draws I set in wouldn't allow the GPS to register at all. Even in the more open areas it had a hard time getting me right to the set. Luckily I didn't have that many sets out and was familiar with every location. It did give me the coordinates I needed close enough to that location for calling the cat catch in which really just saved me from looking at the right map. I'm anxious for Dec 1st to get here, but I think I'll be leaving the GPS at home.

vvarmitr

:holdon: YOU MEAN THE GPS DIDN'T WORK THAT WELL?!?!?!?!?  :shck:

Now how am I going to find all those coffee cans of $ I buried?   :rolleye: :sad2:  :sick2:  :mad3:

I know when I got my first GPS they said the best they could do was 40' w/in the area. Something about the military only allowing them to be that accurate.
Then I thought that was lifted & the new GPSs are very accurate to the point that you can measure from one point to another.

Geeze Jerry how close were you able to get to the snares? :wo:
How old is your GPS?

Jerry Hunsley

Warmitr, It is a cheap GPS, but I have a more expensive one and can't figure out how to use it. You could get to about 35' from a point. I can see it would be pretty good if you had your snares a long ways apart and it would get you in the ball park, but for location points in close proximity, it doesn't work so good. I think I will do like Brad and leave it home. It's more trouble than it's worth.  :shrug:

FinsnFur

That's cheatin anyway aint it?  :biggrin: :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Jerry Hunsley

Your right, I'll leave it home. :wo:

Brad H

I could sure think of more efficient ways to cheat than that. :eyebrownod:

Brad

keekee

I never really used the GPS for finding traps but I do use it in the truck to map out my farms and my rout from on farm to the other. Helps me keep track of what farms I have set and what culverts I have hit in the season. That way I don't forget to trap any of them, and it helps me keep as many farms that I have permission to trap in the same loop, as well as plan out my loops to keep my traveling and gas at the minimum.

I keep a small note book in the truck in the folder with my permission slips and write down how many set I put out in each area or farm.

I can run most of my lines from the truck along the creeks and most of my ponds I can drive all the way around them unless the weather is real bad. If I walk I haft to park the truck then run a short ways go get the truck and move up.

Brent

Jerry Hunsley

I can see where it would work in the way you decribed, but when you have seveal sets in an area it just doesn't pinpoint that close. I have watched on TV where these guys go to certain co-ordinates to find hidden caches and it works for them. I'm taking my better GPS out today and will see how that one works.

vvarmitr

Excuse me Jerry, but I don't quite understand. :confused:  Your GPS gets you w/in 35', that's less than 12yds, & you can't see your snare from that distance? :shrug:  Please don't think I'm being a smart arse, at least in this post.  I don't see a problem w/ that.  :shrug:

Much like you, I fight w/ my GPSs to try & figure them out.  Ya got to get out there & mess w/ 'em for sure.

Jerry Hunsley

No I don't think your a smart ass. If you have never snared , you try to hide your snare so it blends in. I dye and paint mine to match the colors where I snare. I'm telling you, that I can put my snare in, and then stand back and you can hardly see it. Example: I put one in and marked down on my chart that it was by a lone little cedar tree. When I came back later to find it, I had a heck of a time as the brush was pretty thick. I flag my sets and try to keep the tape about the same distance from the snare at adjacent angles and that helps.

vvarmitr

Ya got me there, ain't never snared. Just don't have the time. :sad:

Thanks for enlightening me. :biggrin: