• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

combining E and mouth calls

Started by browning204, November 01, 2007, 07:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

browning204

Here is a question that probably has been kicked around a bit. Bare with me if this is old news.

So when hunting with both an E and mouth calls, how where and when should I accent one with the other?

Should I:

start with mouth and then go to E-call if no takers?

Use E-call to produce sounds I can't coupled with my whaaa whaaa whaaa?

or a million different scenerio's.

Any advice would be great.

P.s. I have beautifull calls from some of you guys and more on the way (thanks Nasa) and I wann use them more but don't trust myself to leave the WT at home!!!
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

wv_yoter

Browning, I'm real curios as to what answers you'll get. I use hand calls for coyote vocalizations and E-calls for distress , but I'm not a pro.
Jason

browning204

see I would do it exactly opposite if you. I can sound horrible but I don't speak coyote very well!!!! 

Plus, I am thinking of saving the vocalizations strictly for whoopie season, these easterns don't get all fired up as much as the westerns (I think)

lets see what the boys say

Bills Custom Calls

I have been told that if an ecaller is used often in the same area the coyotes will get used to the sound and not respond and vice versa so it is good to mix them up just don't know when or how to mix

http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Rich

For a few years now I have been starting my stands with mouth blown howler, and using remote controlled E caller for the distress  screams.  Years ago, I played one sound on a tape player and a different scream with a mouth call at same time.   :wink:
Foxpro Field staff
--------------------------------------

securpro

Excellent Post !! I'll be watchin this one closely. I have very little knowledge on hand calls but I do know that around my house the coyotes do not respond to the E-caller and seldom to a howler.

securpro
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

Jrbhunter

While it's not always necessary or even advantageous- I have come across a couple situations where handcalls and ecalls work well together.

When hunting the big hardwoods of Southern Indiana I often find coyotes have been pressured by deer hunters, callers, coon hunters and other sportsmen in the months of November and December.  This tends to make them leary of any distress situation in daylight hours.  In this case I've had decent success by placing my Ecaller such that I can get AWAY from it and still comfortably view the coyotes "preferred entry".  This preferred route will be different in every situation, depending on wind/terrain/cover and even lighting conditions.   Once I'm in place I will howl a couple times with the remote caller- patiently waiting in silence.  After 1-2-3 howls over a ten minute period, I'll begin a hand blown distress. 

This sometimes results in a hard charging coyote to the shooter... at least... more often than a single sound source would; on the same stand in the same conditions.  The theory being, the timid/nervous/gunshy/uncomfortable coyote is cautiously investigating the howls coming from the location of the caller.  Although this keeps them out of range of the caller - perhaps over a hill, thru a thicket or across a valley - it puts them well within striking distance of a burst of distress.   I can't argue the theory too deeply, but I believe the coyote that is afraid to move 500 yards into a distress situation is more easily convinced to lope 75 yards once he's curiously closed 425 yards on his own accord.    The same would apply if it were possible to silently and invisibly move toward the incoming coyote and close the distance- reducing the range he's required to move.

I've read that a few times and it still doesn't make perfect sense- but it's the closest I can get my thoughts into words.

Secondly, a handcall and ecall will work together beautifully when night hunting vocal coyotes in the Midwestern farm country.  I know that doesn't pertain to you Browning, but maybe the hardwoods tactic will be of some assistance?

browning204

yeah it makes sense, good info.

I will try those tactics.