• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

grey fox distress call

Started by frshwtr, October 19, 2007, 08:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frshwtr

as stated before i'm kinda new to the call game; one of the better tapes for callin grey fox in this area (probably in others also) is a grey fox pup in distress. lots of companies made them in cassett tape. well i was wondering if there was a call on the market that could be used (with practice) to duplicate this tape and if so what call would be recomended.

FinsnFur

My assumption would be that almost any call could be used to mimic the sound.
Keep in mind that I'm saying that without having any idea what tape your referring to. But with enough practice, and using the tape as a reference, I think you could get it licked on your favorite call or the call of your choice in a short amount of time

Heck...look at Arky playin Star Spangled Banner on his  :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

THO Game Calls

I aagree with Jim that with practice you can make a lot of sounds on a call.

Is this the tape that has the whines and growls on it?   Anyway, I am thinking I have heard this sound from Johnny Stewart in the past.  The hard part is going to be the growls and barks if so.

I have about 300 sounds on my computer and I think there are some gray fox sounds in with them.  I will see what I can find and try and give you a better idea later.

It's also possible sometimes to make a call that will do just one sound.   I make some open reeds like that.  I sent one to CCP that all it does is meow sounds of a cat.  It will do other stuff, but not as well as a call tuned to be a standard open reed.  So the possability is to get a call that does what you want it to.  I will look around today and try to reply by this afternoon.

AL
Become one of 'The Hunted Ones' with a THO Game Call
Handcrafted Collector Quality - Field Proven Results

possumal

frshwtr : I can send you a couple of real good grey fox distress sounds, both pup and adult. Send me a pm with your email address and I'll take care of it.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

frshwtr

i have grey fox sounds, and the tape i'm referring to is by dennis kirk but i'm shure its basicly the same as johnny stewarts. i just thought there might be a call that was better for doing the whines and growls. really  am thankful for the help.

possumal

I'd say Rich Cronk could give you plenty of info about what you are trying to do. That rascal can make about any sound he wants to, and would be glad to help.  WoodsWise makes a good fox call, with lots of rasp built in, loud as hell too if you want to make it that way.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

~Ace~

possumal ,

I'd love to have the Fox sounds if your still willing to share, I was calling them with Distress sounds, but they are getting smarter  :doh2: My E-mail is admin@tnpredators.com Thanks in advance. ~Ace~

Silencer

My cousin says the Dennis Kirk work better than the JS.  I personally never heard the Kirk calls but I dont see how it'd top JS's pup.

keekee

I will haft to say the JS Grey Fox Pup has worked the best for me here over Kirk, FoxPro and several others, but I do know that I will start with distress sounds first then switch over the the JS Gray Fox Pup sound. Then I got a better shot at calling Reds, Coons and Coyotes. If nuthen shows in the fist 10 min then I flip over to the pup sounds. I have called them Greys in with distress had people miss and change over to the JS grey fox and call them right back.

Its one of the best sounds out there for sure.

Brent

Silencer

QuoteI do know that I will start with distress sounds first then switch over the the JS Gray Fox Pup sound

Didnt take me long to learn to do the same, I'll start with a soft coaxer, then usually hit them with a high pitched but raspy cottontail.  Last I'll turn on the JS pup.  Now I got the itch, might have to go do some halloween calling tonight.

keekee

Take the camera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We want Pic's! :biggrin:

Brent

~Ace~

Thanks for the sounds Al, they sound Fantastic. Now if I can find some Coon sounds that sound 1/2 as good I'll be Dangerous... In Theory  :biggrin: