• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

A day to remember

Started by Bopeye, November 03, 2007, 07:55:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bopeye

The average, casual observer wouldn't have made much fuss about today, but for me it will live in my memory forever.
My six year old and I kind of did our first official men's day out.  :eyebrownod:
We got some warm clothes, packed the cooler with snacks and colas, made sure the pistol was in the truck and off we went.
Our first stop was at 6:30 a.m. at the Flea Market to check out the hunting dogs. It was a treat for him as he got to see some Walker pups get tore up over a caged coon. He was mesmerized.  :shck:
We left there and took off for "The Mountain" or known here as Hinch Mountain. He had heard my various stories about some of my adventures there, so he wanted to see it.  :yoyo:  On the way up the mountain we met a guy packing out a nice buck and so we stopped to look at it. He couldn't quit looking at it. We finally parted company and he wanted to go see where the guy was hunting. We got about half way up and I stopped the truck to show him some tracks in the mud. We walked up the road together quite awhile looking for sign. We found deer, hog, turkey, coyote, all kinds of tracks. It was fun for me and he was soaking it in. It wasn't long he was hungry and thirsty so we went back to the truck and set in the back drinking a coke and having a snack together. We talked about all kinds of things. He was trying to act as grown up as all of his 6 years could muster.  :laf:
We left the mountain and went to a local checking station and watch the deer being brought in. We spent about a half hour there and saw probably a dozen get checked in. Nothing huge, but he enjoyed it.
Next we were off to the local fishing hole to see if the water had come up any with the recent rains. Looks like they had a little. We probably set on the dock talking for at least an hour about different fish spawns, how structure works for fish, currents, all kinds of stuff. Far more than I thought a little boy could understand.
It was an awesome day!!
Like I said, the casual observer would consider it mundane as some of you reading this might as well, but it ranks way up there as one of the best days of my life. Just me and my son, walking and talking together like men and enjoying one anothers company. I wish each of you at least one day like this in your life. Money couldn't buy it.  :wink:

Here's some pics when we had our long talk at the lake. As usual they aren't very good quality, but you will get the idea.

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

WhiteHare

Here's wishing you many many more days like today.  Although the first is always remembered -- others find there place in your heart also.

Precious to be sure.........
WhiteHare Lanyards
Richard Hughes

www.white-hare.com
whitehare@white-hare.com

Bills Custom Calls

First off Bop I thought a feller like you would have snaky cakes and a cola in your coat pocket  :eyebrownod:

I am glad you got the chance for a day like this may you have many more  :yoyo:
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

wv_yoter

I wish each of you at least one day like this in your life. Money couldn't buy it.  :wink:
Bop that sounds like fun, my son is only two and a half but I look forward to days like that.
Jason

iahntr

Scott

FinsnFur

I wanna know what you and Renee were fighting about that she threw you out of the house for the day  :laf:

And to say...that's what being a Dad is all about. Anybody can do the giddy up. It takes a man to be a Dad afterwards.  :wink:
Nice job Bud
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Ladobe

Priceless Bop - just priceless.   Great read.    :highclap:

You two will share many of these days, and when you get to the other end it's those memories that will help brighten the dark days. 

USN 1967-1971

Thou shalt keep thy religious beliefs to thyself please.  Meus

HaMeR

Very nice Bop!! Thanks for sharing your wonderful day out. I hope you both get to enjoy many more like that. The Bopeye family should be proud to have you on their side. :wink:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

KySongDog

Great story, son.  :wink:  Your real dad raised you right. 

Your son will forever remember today just as you will.   :congrats:

Semp

Hawks Feather

Bop,

This will be a day that both of you will remember forever.  Seems like the two of you had a great get away and I am sure that your son will be looking to next weekend.

Jerry

Jeb

:yoyo: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:   Like the old saying , " Dont get any better than this "
                      Jeb

Silencer

Jerry Hunsley

That brings back ole memories of me and my two boys when they were that age. I spent a lot of time with them when they were growing up. They are both avid hunters and fisherman and I wouldn't have it any other way. Good memories and I hope lots more. Your a good man Bop :yoyo:

CCP

Days like that is for sure what life is all about. I miss I son being that age sometimes.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Todd Rahm

Hey that's super cool Bop, and I don't miss those things either, as I have a 9 year old boy and 7 year old girl, and sometimes just the littlest things are the most precious.  :wink: Thanks for sharing Buddy.

bigben

great read bop.  you can definetly tell that he is your son.  looks alot like your pic in your avatar.  I still remember the hunts and things that happened back when I was 10.  and even though dad still can go to the mountians I know that his days seem to be limited.  he gets colder quicker, tired quicker, when I was a kid it was the other way around.  takereasy.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

Vincenator

:highclap:You couldnt ask for a better memory.Thats what life is about.I dont have any sons but sure do remember times like that with my daughters.
Every day is good,some are just better!

securpro

Bop, it dont get no better than that !!!! :yoyo: :yoyo: congratulations on a great day.  :congrats:
"The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

securpro

frshwtr

i remember those days ( children will be 36,32,and 24 this year). we talk about it a lot; days trapping, fishing, target shooting, picking berries (usually started out as a groundhog hunt) and just going for walks. still do some of that with my son ( called THE BOY even by a lot of my friends) even now. even though he is older it still makes memories. keep that in mind, as dad gets older and cant keep up, gets cold or wants to stop sooner, he is still building memories and when you look back they will be part of yours too.