• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

last nights hunt was a bust but,

Started by bigben, November 03, 2007, 07:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

the way it looks I got a hunting partner to hunt with at night. last night we made 5 stands and had one bust us as soon as we turned on the call. we walked in on a road that I have allways used. might need to change up tactics next time. next stand we were calling for 12 min and decided that we were in allright grey territory so I turned on the new grey fox distress. a minuted later we had rustling of leaves and flickin of eyes. I was trying to get my partner to get a shot because he has never killed a grey he is from montgomery county and they have mainly reds there. as I was trying to direct him to where he was the grey relized something was not right and turned. as soon as he turned I shot and missed. went to another field where a farmer has had reds stealing chickens and ducks. we started out in the field and picked up eyes as soon as we got out of the truck. we had to walk out in to the field about 100 yds to get out of a safty zone. as I called nothing came in. we turned back to the truck thinkin maybe the fox had allready went to the other side of the farm and decided to try the other side. about 20 ft away from the truck I scanned one more time and picked up eyes about 300 yds away. I was using one of those 6 volt eveready's. so we started calling to see what he would do. nothing he got up and left and showed himself every 20 or so yds. so we decided to go to the other side of the farm and intercept him. we did so and no dice. we picked up and decided to make one more stand. went up tight to the mountian and started calling. about 15 min into the stand the caller keeps shutting off with the grey fox distress going. in the meantime we had something come in and we got between him and a couple pole lights. as we were walking out we checked to other side of the stream that we were calling close to and sur nuf had a pair of greys standin lookin at us. so I was wonderin do greys pair up this early? anyhow we had another good callin night. but no fur on the ground. but I definately think we have another night hunter.
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

FinsnFur

Sounds like fun to me, you left out all the info on your new partner.
Greyfox are fun, they sure get squirrelly
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bigben

so far we have been out hunting two times this season and both nights we have called in critters and missed.  we originally traded phone numbers back in sept at the local game lands.  he seen my PPHA sticker on the back window and asked about it.  he has killed a few reds durning the day but never tried night.  so I told him to give me a call about a week before the season comes in and he did.  so far it seems we have a lot in common.  but one thing is for sure all he does is hunt.  he is going to college close by and constantly wants to hunt.  what makes it nice is for the last two years I have never been able to hunt with the same person at night more then once and I feel here in the near future we are going to be a contender in hunts.  in pa there is a bunch of competitive fun hunts that we do and braggin rights are highly ranked.  so far we are plannin on enterin mosquito creek and st marys hunts. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.

bigben

what was funny about the first grey we called.  you could hear it come in and I told him get ready.  the whole thing went down in less then a minute.  later on that night on the last stand he started gettin worked up when he heard another come runnin through the brush.  gotta love that adreniline rush when you first see those red eyes. 

iahntr

Sounds like fun Ben! Man I wished we could hunt at night with lights! :sad2:
Scott

Hawks Feather

Good post and it sounds like a good time.  Won't be long and Ohio will be shooting fur.  Season starts next Sunday.

Jerry

slagmaker

Stories like this make me wish I could get more time off work to get out and make some stands
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.