• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Called in first 3 LBL yotes of the season!

Started by sdLBLhunter, December 05, 2007, 08:39:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdLBLhunter

Went out for the first coyote hunt of the season in LBL Tues.  On the 5th setup me and a buddy finally struck pay dirt as we called in 3 coyotes within about 60 yards....just shy of shotty range  :argh:.  Unfortunately they caught wind of a small herd of deer that we jumped out of a thicket 10 minutes prior and headed off following them.  I tried to a mouse squeak when they got up close, and did a short distress.  They headed off nose to the ground though....  Regardless, I consider calling in 3 yotes in a hunt a success in LBL.

Anyone have any ideas how I could have turned those yotes after they got on the deer?  Also, JimmyinKY...where are ya man??

Bluesman

Sorry you didn't get a chance to hear the gun go off sd.
Protect our sport.  Act like you got some sense out there so future generations can enjoy hunting too,

JB

Jimmie in Ky

I's here hoss. Not much more you could have done with those animals. If the kiss of death didn't budge them , your screwed. Why they do things like that no one knows. If you think that was agravating try spending 3 hours calling one off grasshoppers.

I take it you boys had time to play between classes. I am getting blown off the hill cutting firewood today. Winds are supposed to be better tommorow. May take off up there myself it they are. Jimmie

possumal

I assume you were using mouth calls, as you didn't mention an ecaller.  In any event, I would have used fawn or doe distress after seeing those deer earlier.  I have had that work several times.  At least you had some success. Good hunting to ya!
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

sdLBLhunter

Hey jimmy, maybe meet up and make a couple sets together if you're going to be up there?  I'll be getting out there around 1 tomorrow for an afternoon hunt.  I would appreciate the opportunity to learn a few things from ya if you would be so willing.  If you can, post a time and a place to meet and I'll check this board tomorrow before I head out.

Oh yeah, and I recognized one of the dogs.  Remember a light colored yote from last year that ran up on us with his eyes about as big as cannon balls?  If I had a rifle he was dead :eyebrownod:

Jimmie in Ky

Things were sort of dry here so I caught up some on this pile of leaves scattered all over the yard while it was, I say was dry. Not dry now and still have several windrows of leaves out there.Makes a man think real hard about cutting down some of his shade. Haven't checked the weather yet for th weekend. Jimmie

KySongDog

Quote from: Jimmie in Ky on December 06, 2007, 05:21:07 PM
Haven't checked the weather yet for th weekend. Jimmie

Jimmie
I don't think this affects the LBL but....Kaintuckee's late muzzleloader season comes in Saturday.

Semp

sdLBLhunter

Yeah, LBL is straight bow season from here on out I'm pretty sure.  I went out this afternoon and hunted the bottomland just behind Energy lake for nearly 3 hours.  I walked FOREVER and a day and saw/heard nothing.  I ended up scooting around to Jenny Ridge Road and called up something that left in a hurry (prolly a bedded down deer I spooked...)  I did shoot two squirrels in transition though...nice fat red fox squirrels  :eyebrownod:.  I'll be out there all day saturday and possibly all day sunday depending on the weather....hope it stays cold!!!!

Jimmie in Ky

No more deer gun seasons for the LBL this winter, all bow hunters. That is the reason we are limited to shotgun and rimfire until february. Might be a chance to stay dry saturday but not sure about sunday.  Sounds like sunday might be a good day to get caught up on sleep. Supposed to be cloudy with a chance of rain all weekend. Good tracking weather.

Going saturday since there is only 30 % chance of rain. Looks like the best chance for several days.  wiil pm my cell number. Jimmie