• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Christmas eve eve coyote

Started by BigB, December 23, 2007, 07:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigB

I've been out of the country in England all of December, and is it good to be back in the good ole USA.  Three weeks across the pond really makes you think how lucky and thankful we really are for what we have here.

I started my Christmas vacation today once I got back to the folks house.  I met up with my brother about 15 minutes before dark and we decided to make a quick stand.  I started off with 3 lonesome howls on my Cronk buffalo howler, and then followed up with a few series of bunny distress on an open reed call that I made.  After about 5 minutes, we didn't see anything.  I then did some younger challenge howls on the Cronk.  Then I went back to the bunny distress, and looked towards my brother on my right.  There was a coyote that showed up about 75 yards out in front of him, but he hadn't seen it yet.  I whispered to him to get his gun ready, but the coyote was looking right at us.  I went back to the distress, and the coyote lowered his head and started coming our way.  My brother got his gun ready, and I told him to shoot.  But then I told him not to shoot, and I would try to get it on video.  I turned the camera on, and about the time that I hit the record button, BANG!  I didn't get it on video :madd:, but here is a pic.  Young male.

My brother is always giving me a hard time for spotting coyotes in front of me, but I can return the favor now! :readthis: :eyebrow:  :eyebrow: He was about 5 seconds from standing up to leave the stand when I saw the coyote in front of him. :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :wink:

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

Troy Walter

Nice job,good looking back ground in that picture,

Silencer

Thats SWEEEEEEEEEEET right there !!!  I love hunting with my bro, we're a team and always have fun and make good memories.

wv_yoter

Jason

FinsnFur

I had to look twice at the title. Christmas Eve Eve Eve ...I'm like what the  :shck:  :laf:

Job well done gentlemen. Doesnt look like it'd be too easy to pick em out in that sage colored grass.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

trappinjohn

Welcome back.  Great way to celebrate your return.

tnsniper

good looking dog , and welcome back.

Hawks Feather

So you decided not to stay in safe old "gun free" England.  I just can't understand that.  Welcome back and congratulations on the kill.

Jerry

CCP

QuoteDoesnt look like it'd be too easy to pick em out in that sage colored grass.

I was thinking the same thing Jim.

QuoteHe was about 5 seconds from standing up to leave the stand when I saw the coyote in front of him.

Wish I had you on a few stands with me. :biggrin: I have stood up and then watched a coyote bolt away.

Good Job :highclap: and keep them ah comin
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

jimneye

A well earned homecomming.  congrats

huntillinois

Congrats BigB.     Give me a call or pm me, let me know what your schedule looks like and we will try to get together and get after them. Been seeing several and hearing alot more than that.

Smith

Way to go. Merry Christmas....

Lucas
Right thing easy, wrong thing hard...

keekee

Cool! Congrads! Nice looking Coyote!

Brent

BigB

Quote from: Hawks Feather on December 24, 2007, 07:26:59 AM
So you decided not to stay in safe old "gun free" England.  I just can't understand that. 

Jerry,
From what I heard, you can actually own a gun over there, but it has to be locked up at a gun club.  Another guy that I was traveling with found out that you can go on a pheasant hunt there, but it costs aobut $60 per bird that you shoot!! :rolleye:  We figured that we didn't need to hunt that bad. :pout:  They do have quite a few wild pheasants over there.  We drove around one Sunday afternoon around the countryside, and saw probably around 50 birds total.  There would be about 4-5 here, 3-4 there, etc.  It was a mix of ringnecks, and some darker looking ones.  The darker ones were like a darker greenish blue color.  They were kinda neet looking.  I am going back there the last two weeks in January for work again, so I will see if I can get some pics of a few.

Quote from: FinsnFur on December 23, 2007, 11:42:28 PM
Doesnt look like it'd be too easy to pick em out in that sage colored grass.

Jim, the grass is usually mowed down further than that by the cows in pasture, and that is probably the reason that we didn't see the coyote until the last few seconds.  And yes, it was tough to see it in the grass.  The coyote was facing us when my brother took the shot, and all we could really see was his neck down.  That's the reason for the higher shot placement.  I like the straight on shots, just put it between the front shoulders, and you don't get any exit holes and fur damage.

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

warny

hammeryotes

Awesome job!  That's a good looking pale. It reminds me of the yotes from back home in Oregon(eastern Oregon).  Great story. Sounds like you guys had a ton of fun. :yoyo: