• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Christmas day in the LBL

Started by hammeryotes, December 26, 2007, 07:02:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammeryotes

After two and a half days of running all over western Kentucky seeing friends and family, I managed to get out yesterday afternoon for a few hours.  I made three dry set-ups in the North end, then moved down South near Wranglers.  First set-up down there went well.  I was hitting the Ki-Yi hard and fast' and after ten minutes or so a lone Yote appeared about a hundred yards away and he was coming in fast.  Like a true greenhorn I didn't have my shotgun in shooting position.  That yote came right to me and stopped at no more than 10 feet :shck: With my gun in my lap I was screwed. The coyote looked over his shoulder in the direction he had come from.  I threw my gun up and he immediately bolted I took a quick shot and apparrntly missed.  I watched him high-tail it 75 yards to cover. Dang it! :madd:  I moved about a mile down the road to another field and set up on the edge of the cover(should have been in the timber).  After just a couple of minutes on the Ki-Yi a pair of yotes showed up about 300 yards down the field(up-wind).  They came in on the run and stopped in the middle of the field about 60 yards out(still up-wind).  They hung around out there for at least 20 minutes trying to find what had made the commotion(whish it was centerfire season!).  Finally those yotes went into the timber and circled me and eventually got my wind.  Funny thing is that they came back out of the timber exactly where they went in, crossed the field and retreated the same way they originally had entered.  Durring this nailbiting time a group of yotes fired up about a half mile away up on a ridge to my South.  Even though I didn't kill anything that was an awesome trip.  The funny thing is that all three coyotes I called in, came in on the run through wide open fields, upwind.  Sounds crazy but that's the way it went down.  Meeting up with Semp tonight for a couple of hours, hopefully he can get the killing part done! :yoyo:

jimneye

oooh...So close and yet so far away.  Thanks for the story  Hammeryotes.

LBLDOG

Hammeryotes are you talking about the Randy anderson ki-yi ? I have one of these and I have never had any luck with it! I have the Randy anderson Hot dog and had some very good luck with it. I took my Foxpro Monday and played some lightning Jack and did some pup sqeeling with a turkey diaphram ( trying to sound like a yote fight over the rabbitt! ) I didnt see anything and even was on the south end myself.

hammeryotes

Quote from: LBLDOG on December 26, 2007, 08:44:53 AM
Hammeryotes are you talking about the Randy anderson ki-yi ? I have one of these and I have never had any luck with it! I have the Randy anderson Hot dog and had some very good luck with it. I took my Foxpro Monday and played some lightning Jack and did some pup sqeeling with a turkey diaphram ( trying to sound like a yote fight over the rabbitt! ) I didnt see anything and even was on the south end myself.
Yeah. It is the Randy Anderson Ki-Yi.  Between last Feb. to present, I have called in 15 yotes with it.  In fact it is the only call that I've had any luck with.  I don't know if Im blowing it like it was meant to be blown but it has worked well for me.I take the top off and move the O-ring all the way down to the base of the reed, then put the cap back on.  I blow on it hard and fast.  It makes an extremely raspy squall.  I still go with typical Waaaaaa   waaa waaa waaa cadence. 5-10 seconds of calling and 15-20 seconds of silence.  Repeat it continuously until I'm done in that set.  `As long as it keeps working I'm going to keep using it. :wink:

FinsnFur

I wouldnt  :pout:
If it's working that good, I'd quit and use a different sound.

I'm kidding around hammeryote :biggrin: Sounds like things are starting to come together down there.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Frogman

Hey hammer,
      It's nice for us new guys to see what is working for you and how you are calling..  Thanks for the excellent post.
Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

LBLDOG

hammeryotes, I dont blame you I wouldnt quit a good thing either  :yoyo:

KySongDog

Met Hammeryotes today and made a couple of sets.  No takers but we did get a group fired up right at dark.  They were not happy about all of the howling me and Hammeryotes was doin.   :biggrin:   Good thing we got out of there, they were on their way to kick some serious tail!   :shck:

FinsnFur

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Bopeye

Glad you survived DAD!!!  ;yes; I still need my internet dad to show up in a month or so.......... :yahoo:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Driver

Are you all hunting on the KY or the TN side?  I will be up there in a couple of weeks.  I live down by Spingfield, TN.

KySongDog

I'm educating every yote that can hear me on the Kaintuckee side.    :yoyo:

Notice I didn't say I was killin any.  Just educatin 'em.   For all the fur I put down, I could probably get a free honorary life membership to PETA.

But I think the worm is about to turn.....MY education is progressing nicely as well.   :biggrin:

Bopeye

Quote from: Semp on December 27, 2007, 12:36:40 PM
 For all the fur I put down, I could probably get a free honorary life membership to PETA.

:roflmao: :laf: :yahoo: :thumb2: :laugh2:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

hammeryotes

Quote from: Semp on December 27, 2007, 12:36:40 PM
I'm educating every yote that can hear me on the Kaintuckee side.    :yoyo:

Notice I didn't say I was killin any.  Just educatin 'em.   For all the fur I put down, I could probably get a free honorary life membership to PETA.

But I think the worm is about to turn.....MY education is progressing nicely as well.   :biggrin:
Yeah your time is coming partner!  As serious as you take you're hunting and as hard as you go, I feel sorry for thos LBL dogs this year!  :yoyo: