• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

In vehicle GPS

Started by browning204, March 10, 2008, 07:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

browning204

Who uses thes GPS units? I had to find a house in Maine that was way back in the woods today. A buddy of mine came along with his Garmin GPS. The thing was right on the money from door to door! It made the trip so much easier.

I was wondering who uses these car GPS units and what kind do you have.

How do you like it and what made you decide on the one you have.

Thanks for any info as I might wanna get one!
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

keekee

I got two of them that I use. I have a Garmin I use some and a Tom Tom as well. Keep them in the truck 24/7!

There great for trips and also running the trap line. And very good for marking calling locations! One of the best buys one can make.

Brent

browning204

Hows that Tom Tom compared to the Garmin?
FOXPRO, THE TRUE LEADER IN IMITATION!!!

Obamerica      GOD HELP US!

keekee

Its great for turn by turn directions but the Garmin beats it hands down off the road and other features!

Brent

iahntr

We have a Magellan Roadmate, I'm not sure they make the model we have anymore. We love it, and after having one, we wouldn't be with out one.
Like Brent said, they are awesome for trips. A good example was two years ago when we took a nice trip out west. I had all our lodging planned before
we left. We stayed a night in Keystone S.D., a couple nights in the Tetons, one outside of west Yellowstone, a few outside of east Yellowstone, and a night in Deadwood on the way home. I had all the addresses punched in before we left. Each time we were on to the next one, just hit it, and bring ya right to it.
Plus it gives ya a real good idea while you're drivin how far you've driven, how long til ya get there etc. It's also nice while you're drivin it has different icons on
the screen, like gas stations, and  restaurant symbols that you can click on, it'll tell ya the name of the place, and if it sounds good you can click on it and have
it bring ya there. Just remember to keep the map in the vehicle, they're not always 100% fool proof. One time last summer
when I was totally relying on it, we were in Chicago and down on The Navy Pier. When I pulled out to leave there I turned the GPS on, but you drive under the
subways and such, and it wouldn't pick up a signal. I was desperately trying to get it to come on, and in my haste I punched " shortest distance" instead of
"shortest time" to get back to the hotel. Well what should've taken us about 20 minutes by freeway, took us about 45 minutes through some serious slums.
Remember Chevy Chase - " roll em up "  :laf: That's what we were in. I told the kids at every stop light we had to stop at to keep an eye out for somebody
walkin up to the vehicle, cause red light or not, I'm not hangin around.  :biggrin: Course we probably looked more like dealers or somethin rollin through in
our Yukon with nice big chrome 20"s on .  :laf: After a few different ethnic neighborhoods, you could tell when you left one and entered a new one by reading the
graffiti,  :laf: we made it back to the hotel.
Sorry, got sidetracked,  :biggrin: I would recommend getting one. I'm just not up on the newest models out.

Scott