• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Packs & dens

Started by wv_yoter, April 01, 2008, 05:27:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wv_yoter

I've got a few question's? My first is about the size of packs and how that may affect their range ? My second question is when and how they use their den? For example do they use the den year round or only when raising the pups. If someone already has a thread about these things could you point me in the right direction.
Jason

FinsnFur

As for the latter part of your question, it is believed that the dens are only used to give birth in and provide shelter for the pups.
Right now is the time to fins them in dens. and once the pups are on their own the dens will be abandon.

They usually line up more then one den too. Mama will move the pups if she sees or feels a threat, and she will move them because of flea or other parasite  infestations.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

This time of year, yes coyotes will den to raise their young. Most of them will do what I call lay out in the same area to watch, listen and smell danger and will warn each other in a sort of pecking order. Most of the time they spend this family group time until about July. In the month of June when the pups are just about full size these family groups can be very large. In July they will break up into smaller groups or even alone to a point marking territories and even in these small groups will only socialize when helping one another get food or competing for food. They will lay out most of the time the remaining part of the year.
A lay out can be anything from barren ground to a rock ledge, or a shelf dug under a tree stump or a fallen tree.
If the coyote pecking order senses danger they simply and quietly tell one another and leave.
While raising their pups the yearling lead bitch and the alfa male do most of the hunting and bring food back to the den.
This I believe is done in sub groups within the family pack. (more than one den) It is believed that if one of those two dominant dogs are killed the other dog will stop bringing food back and the mother will abandon her young and go on a killing spree after a time, however I believe the pack just readjusts its pecking order within that group and continues to help raise the pups.
I showed Jim a lay out on my farm that is used regularly next time I am out there I will try and get you a picture of it.
In late July you will hear a lone howl from one point and one from another point up to for or maybe five dogs then if they are in the mood you will hear all of them gathering in one spot and howling. I take this to mean they are working together either to hunt or to hide from danger. It just depends on the situation and what kind of howling.
many times in the summer you will hear some really long lone howls and the dogs never move. I call this a dog with a full belly. I do not know for sure but I do know that when they do this they will not come, but they will howl like this for most of the night off and on.
Sept. around here they seem to get back into their sub groups of three to six? This just depends on their local population, how the puppies did, that kind of thing.
I am not saying I know it all and I can only give my opinion but I can say I have done some homework on the subject and a lot of leg work as well. And I will gladly listen to any other opinions on the subject as I am sure I have forgotten some stuff. I hope my babbling helps you some.......... :wink:
http://www.geocities.com/alscalls/coyote.html
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

wv_yoter

Thanks guys I appreciate it. :biggrin:
Jason

Jimmie in Ky

A groups range is determined by the overall population of coyotes in the region. More coyotes, smaller territory sizes. Tis could be as small as seven square miles or as large as 25 square miles. In most state here in th east I think the average may be around 14 now, just my opinion from what I see here in my state.I have been watching them decrease steadily as the population here has grown. When I moved here 18 years ago there were three groups within a fifteen mile radius of my house. There are now seven that I know of.

Groups size averages around seven to eight animals in most places. For the most part they all hunt individually of each other. You will see the pups hunting hoppers in late summmer in pairs or as a group of pups. The adults will hunt as a pair during mating season and most of the spring until the pups are born. At this time th den has alreay been selected and the pups should start hitting the ground in 2 to 3 weeks from now. The pups will stick around the adults territory until around december and sometimes even later. If they pack hunt it is because of food supply shortages. They will group together to hunt deer if other food is getting hard to find. Jimmie