• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

How many of ya shootin' a .223

Started by Coulter, February 23, 2008, 04:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

I was real close to picking one up today, but decided against it for now. Maybe tomorrow :eyebrow: Actually, I was going to pick up a Savage mod 10 but I thought it was chambered for .22-250. I already have a .22-250 but I wanted a bolt action instaed of a single shot. I also have a .223 single shot also, but I don't use it much. It is just a little gun that my dad gave to my daughter. (Its mine now :biggrin:) So how is the .223 on coyotes. Should I just keep shooting my Ruger .22-250 or jump on that Savage?

Steve

Bob D

In my opinion the 22-250 is an excellent caliber for coyotes. I shoot a 223 in my ar 15 and it does fine but I like the 22-250 better . I wish I could get an ar15- 22-250.

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

FinsnFur

Keep shooting the 22-250 :eyebrownod:

The 223 is cheaper to shoot, but I feel the 22-250 will out perform it all day with a much flatter trajectory.
Just my opinion. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

Thanks for the input guys...I think I am going to pass on it for now. It is an good gun, but it isn't exactly what I want to pick up. I already have enough guns floating around here that won't fit into the cabinet. I have to get a safe reeeeal soon.

Steve

bushmaster

I really like what i've heard about the model 10.  But i've given up on the .223 and now rely on the 6.8SPC.  That .223 let me down too many times.
"Depart from evil, and do good; seek peace, and pursue it." -PSALM 34--14

Integrity of character and clarity of thought are vital to quality of life.

Coulter

Yeah, I haven't seen or heard any bad reviews about the Mod 10 either.  It was very tempting, I think I could have got it for 5 bills. But I just couldn't justify it being a .223. I'm sure it is a tack driver, but I don't want to tack anything onto a coyote, I want to put him down and put him down quick...and consistently. Thanks for the info....

Steve

KySongDog

Quote from: Coulter on February 25, 2008, 09:01:28 PM
....... I want to put him down and put him down quick...and consistently.

Coulter

Have you considered a .243?  Check this article out.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/reloads/243_varmint_0513/

Semp

ATLRoach

Shoot both 223 and 243.. I like the 223 in the AR platform better than my 243.

LORDDAL

love my 223 bushmaster carbine ar one great shootin gun
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

Nelson

Carolina Coyote

The 243 WSSM is a real flat shooting Gun, I have one in a Browing A-bolt and at 300 yards with a 75 grain V-max it drops about 5 1/2 inches, a real fun gun to shoot and will get the job done. cc