• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Elephant ivory howler

Started by ninthinning, April 12, 2008, 06:08:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninthinning

This is a set made from  a small elephant tusk.   The one piece howler is loud and has good sound.  The tusk tip was made into this little hands free JC reed call.

Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

vvarmitr

OMG where do you get this stuff? :shck:  Africa, I know, very funny ... ha, ha.  :iroll:

I sure could use that to go w/ my other ivory calls, BUT I'd get in deep doo doo w/ the love of my life.  :sad3:

I suppose the price is "if you have to ask you can't afford it!"

Do you have a finish on that or is it just buffed out?  :shrug:

FinsnFur

Real nice looking stuff Eric. That's stuff's gotta be a task to spin.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

ninthinning

The finish is buffed only.  Ivory is amazing stuff, turns like butter, hard but very uniform.  Here are pictures of the third call.

The third call started with amber colored cast acrylic rod.  Begin by shaping the inside.

Turn the basic shape of sound board.

Fit inside of tusk to sound board tenon.

Use 3/4" jig to make long flat howler board.

Test for fit and sound.

Sand off excess acrylic.

Sand and buff call.

Thin ivory walls and natural taper makes for good amplification and resonance.

Looks good on a single drop lanyard.

Ivory calls at bottom.  Boards are 5" for scale.

Their horses are swifter than leopards, fiercer than wolves at dusk - Habakkuk 1:8

vvarmitr

Are you tempted to do some scrimshaw on one of them?  :eyebrow:

I'm thinking a band in Celtic Lace or maybe the curly leave stuff they put on finr double guns. (I can't think of the name of it now, but it begins w/ an A.  :doh2: )

As I think of it, that would be too cool.  :eyebrow:  :eyebrow:  :eyebrow:  :biggrin:

ninthinning

I was just looking at an ivory howler wondering if I should try scrimshaw.  Problem is my scrimshaw isn't all that good yet, but I am happy with the last scrimshaw I did on a wart hog tusk.  Thanks for your interest.
9th

PS I was thinking of dinosucus, a giant gater that ate dinosaurs.

bootmud

Excellant work.  I like em all. :highclap:

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

Troy Walter

Coulter

That is awesome looking stuff...I would love to have one of 'em. So, which one would you like to donate to the FnF raffle :innocentwhistle: Just kidding, that stuff had to be pricey. You did some fantastic work on them.

Steve

ninthinning

Been tinkering with the ivory howler.  Modified the shape and curvature of the sound board.  Its so loud now ear plugs are required.