• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Alaskan wolf season (part III)

Started by Tikaani, May 01, 2008, 09:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikaani

Two things I would like to state, one I hope I am not over doing this posting thing if so, sorry. Second, I am as far from an expert on wolves and arctic wildlife as you can get, and when I write it is about what I observe while spending a lot of time in the back country, combined with a lot of reading and researching what I saw.

Sunday, weather was partly cloudy and in the twenties in the morning, evening brought clouds and snow flurries.  There are no caribou in this valley but a lot of small herds to the south.  Drove south and walked in and to see if I could spook something up. No caribou kills and did not see ravens anywhere.  Ravens that have congregated are a good sign of a kill here.  Wolfs and ravens live a strange coexistence, where there is one, you almost always find the other.  Mondays weather was still lousy stuck to working, did not hunt but checked my sets nothing, pulled all but two near Ox creek. The caribou seem to have moved into the valley in large numbers, I believe they are getting ready to move north to calf.  As they start to form these larger herds, the wolves will not be far behind.  Tuesday went north, walked up on a red fox, his fur was sun bleached and faded, he was reluctant to go, lucky for him season ended on the 15th.  No sign of anything else.

Wednesday, last day of the season, very low cloud cover and snowing.  Spotted first wolves in sometime, saw a small pack, looked to be about three, heading towards a herd of caribou, to far off for a shot.  It never ceases to amaze me the amount of ground they can cover in a short amount of time. Went for a walk and saw a very nice cross fox, when saw me, he was gone.  Pulled the last of my #9s and a few snares around them.

One other event took place as the season ended, I won't write about it on a public forum, I do not believe in giving anyone fuel for their fire, so to speak.  Once I can write private messages I will be more then glad to share it, just not here.  I hope some found this interesting and you enjoy the pictures.  My wife says it is time for me to get some forced socialization, so I am going to Colorado to visit family for week and will return just in time for spring bear and to deprogram any of that socializing I might have picked up.

John

More scenery

Red Fox, a little sun bleached

Tuesday evening, difficulty figuring out timer on camera
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

BigB

Another excellent read.  I enjoy your posts, and can almost imagine myself there.  And the pics are wonderful :highclap:

Thanks for sharing.

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

coyote101

WOW!   You are living the dream of a lot of guys. Thanks for sharing.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

wv_yoter

The pics & stories are great. I would be interested in the PM version as well. :biggrin:
Jason

Nelson

I  enjoy your adventures and good luck on the socialization trip!!  :eyebrownod:

Nelson

FinsnFur

Definitely not over posting Tikaani. Keep the pics of that amazing country coming. :wink:

Forced socialization  :laf: ...phooey
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Coulter

QuoteSecond, I am as far from an expert on wolves and arctic wildlife as you can get
Thats not entirely true...you are a lot closer to a wolf expert than I am here in Pennsylvania. And might I suggest I am a bit closer to an expert on wolves than say a hunter in Florida :nono:

I love reading your posts...it's like I'm sitting right there with you. They are absolutely outstanding :yoyo: Keep 'em coming...including that PM version, you have my curiosity piqued.

As far as that whole socialization thing just tell your wife that you get all of the socialization you need right here at Fins and Fur :biggrin: :biggrin: Or better yet...maybe we could start an exchange program. I'll come up there to be desocialized and you can come to PA to be socialized. Ya think it would work? :laf:

Steve

Bopeye

Socialization be damned!!!

I'm tired of being socialized...........take me with you.......... :eyebrownod: :wink:

Beautfiul country........Beautiful!  :biggrin:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Yotehntr

Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

alscalls

You are doing a great job! :eyebrownod: I may not always post but I am reading it all and if I did not want a lot more of it I would not look so forward to reading about your expierience. Dont worry about who you offend in here these guys will treat you well.
If the folks you you do not wish to fuel dont like it they can kiss my backside I will run em off and I am sure I would have expert help telling those carrott eatin tree huggers what for.
You are living a dream that started not so differently with our four fathers and keeping it alive is our job.
And I for one will fight for you to keep it as long as I am alive!
I love what you have done so far and look forward to seeing a lot more. Keep em comming........ :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

cb223

Tikaani you post some awesome pictures. The stories are pretty awesome too, make a guy feel like he's there with you.

I would also be interested in a PM about the rest of the story.

CHAD

bootmud

Beautiful Pics.  I love it. :highclap:

bootmud
www.huntafp.org
www.kettlecreekcalls.com

Hawks Feather

We will discuss over posts when you hit about 5,000 (by the end of this year).  Till then, just keep posting away since I am just like the others and like the information and the pictures.

Jerry

ccp2

That is some great looking scenery u have up there,and I also have enjoyed all the storys and pics!  keep them coming

possumal

John, I have to borrow some of Gerry Blair's words when I view that beautiful country, "Ah, it is dandy".  Guys like you sharing represents the only chance most of us will ever get to "See" God's country up close and personal.  Great job!! :congrats: :congrats:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

yotefever

Thanks for the story and  the pics. Sure is beautiful !!!
I had an invite to go for spring bear but with only a week to get ready I decided to pass but hope to make it next year. We are also hoping to add some other critters to the list.
I'll be sure to take lots of cards for the camera  :eyebrownod:

Mike
http://www.whitcombministries.org/
http://www.answersingenesis.org/
"My Jeep won a war...Your Honda mows my yard !"

Todd Rahm

Tikaani very nice post Sir! Love the pics and your a perty darn good writer too.  :wink: