• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Selling Fur...

Started by Coulter, August 19, 2008, 04:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coulter

So where do you guys sell your furs...A country buyer? NAFA? FHA? Somebody else? Taxidermy trade? Mountain man / black powder trade?

Personally, I sell most of my furs to FHA and have been much happier than selling to the country buyers. You don't get your money immediately, but I enjoy getting a nice check in the mail a time or two a year. I also keep some and send them out to get tanned. I'll usually sell some at shows that I go to or just keep them hanging by my gun cabinet.

So what do you guys do with your furs?

Steve

BigB

There's a guy that we've been taking our furs to for the past 30+ years.  I guess he is what you'd consider a country buyer.  His place is several miles outside of town, and his fur shed is next to his hog barns.  We used to skin out all of the furs before we took them to his place.  But then he started giving us grief on how we skinned them out.  He'd only give us $1 more for the hide if we skinned it ourselves, so we just started bringing in the critters for him to skin out.  We weren't skinning them out any different than he was.  He just was set in his ways, and wanted to do it himself. :iroll:  So, I didn't mind loosing a dollar per hide and having him skin them out.  Here lately, he's been getting much more grouchy.  If it has a hole in it bigger than a .22, then he gripes and complains and barely gives us any money for the critter.  I think I might start looking for a different fur buyer this winter, cause I think our ole guy could also give us a better price on the fur than he's been giving us.  We only got an average of $6-7 per coyote last winter. :rolleye:  We heard the other guys around us were getting double that price for their fur.  But the guy that was buying their fur, travels around the 10 counties in our area, and you never know when you can get ahold of him.

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

frshwtr

i take them to an auction sponserd by dist #11 of the pa. trappers assoc. they require you to be a member of the assoc. pay a $5 registration fee and i believe another 4% of what the fur sold for. now keep in mind this is for fur that has been put up.

FinsnFur

Never sold any fur myself. My brother used to sell to Gruenwald, a traveling buyer, and I dont think he complained about prices very often at all.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com