• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

This Really Ticks Me Off!!!

Started by Bills Custom Calls, September 10, 2008, 05:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotehunter_1

Bill, I'm sorry to hear that you got locked out.  :sad:

Regardless of religion, there are good people and some not so good ones, I reckon. I know several families of the Amish and Mennonite faith that reside in the area. They seem to be honest, hard working and courteous. I don't believe many, if any, even own a gun much less hunt. If asked they usually don't mind if someone hunts their property, with the exception of no Sunday hunting. In the past my dad, grandfather and I have gained permission to hunt several of their farms with their blessings. Then again, maybe we got the good ones. :laf:     
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

weedwalker

A slingshot and a box of mothballs will cover a lot of ground from a distance. :eyebrow: Deer hate that smell. And with the property right next door, opening morning of deer season would be a great time to practice your howling. :biggrin:

KySongDog

Dayum, Weed!  If I forget, remind me to never piss you off.   :nono:    :biggrin: 

Nelson

Sure sorry to hear of your bad luck.  I always thought it was great that you could go out your back
door and hunt.  That's how it was for me when I was growing up.  Now, I drive 2 hours, like Nastygunz,
to hunt.  Maybe those guys will screw up and you'll get the land back and maybe they won't.  Either
way, something better is bound to turn up.  Good luck.
Nelson

HuntnCarve

Bill, I know exactly the sentiment you feel.
Up at my friends property in Northern PA where we hunt deer, the Amish moved in and it's like the "Scorched Earth" policy.  The deer have been decimated by their year round hunting!  Same with the turkeys, and furbearers.    They have asked permission to hunt on our land, and we said "no"!   Yet because we don't live there, they run all over the property while we are not there!  Caught them cutting timber on our land about 150 yards in from the well marked border fence line!  Their reply; "Oh we thought the trees were on the border?" 
In Pennsylvania it is illegal to hunt most game on Sundays.  Driving up the dirt road on the property, I saw a Amish man standing along the edge of one of our corn fields about 500 yards away, turkey in hand!  When I stopped the truck, he ducked into the corn.  I headed back to camp, got on my quad and ripped up the hill. We were having the first snow of the season, and it had started early that morning.  So it was fresh....  Tracked him in the snow across our land, down into the valley where their farm was.  In the process I found a bunch of tracks where a group of them had been hunting (our land) and basically working a circle to run the turkeys out of the corn towards where they had a couple of shooter.  -All this on a Sunday!  All this on our land!
Every year they will stop at our camp and ask permission to hunt the land?  We'll say "No!"  Then it becomes a bartering series.."Well, how about Archery season?  NO!  Well, how about turkey?  NO!  Well, can we trap the creek? NO!  Can we cut some firewood? NO!  Can we tap the maples?  NO!... Finally it ends up with us saying;  "You stay on your land, and we'll stay on ours!"  -Their land (only 100 acres) is devoid of all game.  While ours is managed somewhat for the game.  This past year the leader showed up at the camp (along with his little son and daughter) with a half gallon of maple syrup as a gift.  He said that he tapped a few of the maples along the property line.  - The funny thing is that they cut all their maple trees down, so the nearest maples were a couple hundred yards into our property!  -The other thing is that we lease the sugar rights to another (non Amish) farmer and son.  So once again, we had to tell them to please stay off the land.
A local farmer up there made the statement to us:  "The Amish know your land better than you do!"  -The statement meant everyones land up there.  As they travel on it, on a regular basis whether you know it or not.

In the Wood Adhesives industry I did business with alot of Amish.  Some good, some bad.   It was all about saving pennies with them.  I had one Amishman present me with a claim for  $30,000 for bad oak  panels supposedly glued up with one of our products!  When I told him the panels were not made with our glue at his shop, he asked me how I knew?  I showed him a small stamp on the very bottom of the panel in an inconspicious location.  The panels came from another glue up shop.  One that did not use my products!  Then I got a small black light out of my truck and shined it on panels that were failing (supposedly glued up in his shop, with our glue?).  He asked what was I doing?  I explained that we had a "U.V." indicator chemical in our product, that would react with the Black light.  The panels he presented me did not react to the light???  I went out to his barrel of glue and found that he had bought a "cheap" glue from another company.  The competitors drum was leaking, so he emptied the competitors product into one of our empty drums that he had sitting there.  It was not our glue at all!!!  It did not react to the black light in the slightest.  Walking back to the office part of the building, he did not have much to say.  He did admit that he had tested some other glue from a competitor to save some money (about $5 per drum).  I suggested that he get their Rep in there to handle his problem and his $$ claim.  The funny thing was that while I was standing there talking to him, I noticed a Bible sitting on his desk.  I picked it up "matter of factly" and asked if he's ever looked it over?  He said "Most certainly", every day!"   I just shrugged and said "Hmmm?" as I placed it back on his desk.  Moments ago he had fully intended to sock me with a false $$ claim.   To this day I wonder if he was going to try and make the claim against both companies, to try and collect a double payment???  A short time later I lost his account.  The competitor had to make good on his claim.  So he payed him off with free glue.  Basically a lifetimes worth.  I was not the least bit upset at loosing this account.
So yes, I've had some not so positive experiences with the Amish.  I am not condemning the lot of them...But they are not always  the "simple people" they are portrayed as... 
I wish you luck Bill with your situation.  I don't think you are going to have a positive experience when it's all said and done?  For us it's been a very frustrating experience.

canine

HuntnCarve,
Sounds like the same bloodline we have around here. Haven't met a good one yet.

JD

Silencer

Glad they're not in this part of PA yet.  I have heard of the amnish in southern/central PA that will rent ya a field to goose hunt in, $$$ per day and I think $$$ per goose, I thought it was illegal to charge for wild animals ?  :shrug:

Got invited to go on a hunt, but havent talked to the guys in a month or so.

frshwtr

it is ileagal to charge for wild animals but you can charge for use of the land whether its for use of a blind or a parking spot. dont know where in pa your at but if there is good hunting there (well reasonably good on public land) they think nothing of chartering a couple of buses and blanketing whole mountains. each bus has its own roster and they work together but not that it is that easy to prove. for those of you not from pa we can hunt if groups of upto 25 people in one group. believe me when three or 4 buses are putting on drives it gets deer moving. if they start driving in the area you have beed sitting in since the butt crack of dawn you might as well move because if you di shoot a deer they look at it as theirs because it came off their drive. i habve seen this happen it isnt just a rumor. but hey guys keep in mind there are good and bad in all forms of life.