• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Male and female coyotes

Started by possumal, December 08, 2008, 06:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possumal

I got out late yesterday for one stand.  Started out with a couple of high pitched howls on my Cronk Killer Call. Had my FX-5 hung in a bush about 100 yds to my right and about 50 yds down a tree field gulley which borders a bag pasture. After about 5 minutes of watching, I played the Female Invitational howl three howls, waited a couple of minutes and followed with two more on the FX-5.  About 30 seconds later, a big male was literally flying from the wooded area about 300 yds away, quartering across the pasture towards the spot the caller was hung.  He stopped when I squeaked my Sceery coaxer at about 150 yds and I knocked him down with a 70 grain Blitz king out of my 243.  That rascal got up and ran like he wasn't even hit to his left and into the woods.  It was so close to dark that I decided to go back today.  I stepped it off from where he was standing when I hit him, and it was 110 yds to a big sinkhole in the end of the woods. There he was piled up in the very bottom, too far down for this old marsupial to climb in and out.  I could see a hole behind his shoulder as big as a baseball, but back a little more than I intended. They amaze me how they can take it.  It was at least 30 feet down to the bottom of the sinkhole and I took the picture with the zoom lens.  On the way out on my ATV, a big old yote crossed the pasture about 250 yds ahead of me.  I backtracked and went through an open gate into that field and hurried up to the top of the hill.  When I got there, the yote was going straight away about 200 yds out.  I turned off the ATV, got my rifle out of the case, and rested on the handlebars. The yote stopped and looked back, and I hit her dead center in the shoulder.  I used the range finder from where she was laying back to the tree I was parked by and it was 255 yds. The game sure is weird sometimes, but you can't kill 'em if you don't pull the trigger.

Here is the picture of the big old male. Sorry it isn't better but it was the best I could get under the circumstances:

Here is the female:

Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

alscalls

Glad ya got out some Al....... :congrats: :congrats: You need another student so they can fetch those hard ones for ya :laf:
Sounds like just what you needed some fur down :yoyo: :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

CCP

Sounds like you had a good time and good story. :congrats

QuoteThey amaze me how they can take it.

They amaze me too at times. The carnage they can take and keep running sometimes is amazing.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Frogman

Good story and pics Al.  Good to see you got out of the "recliner" for a while!!  That was some good shooting!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

KySongDog

Nice job, Al!  You da man!   :bowingsmilie:

Do you reload those 70 gr Blitz Kings? or buy 'em?

possumal

Reload. Paul Box at Sierra gave me the load I use.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

pitw

Right on :highclap: Love the story and the pictures.  Can't hit what you don't shoot at.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Carolina Coyote

Yea, them Blitz Kings work a whole lot better than Rubber Bullets and Crackers, good job Al.  :highclap: cc