• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Out the window

Started by pitw, February 12, 2009, 09:36:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

Got up this morning and woke the boys for breakfast.  Sat down to see if there was anything new on the computer, then glanced out at my cow.  There was a coyote wandering around it that looked like it had chicken on it's mind.  I went downstairs and then back upstaairs to find the key to the gunroom.  Then I had to fire up the computer so as to find the combination for the locked ammunition storage container.  I got Mandy's 25-06 out finally and with the family watching the coyote for 5 minutes out the picture window, I opened the window by my wood heater and stuck the gun out.  I stood and waited for the coyote to give me a standing face on shot that made it play dead immediately.  After locking up everything again I made my way upstairs to a chorus of "good shot dad" from the boys to which I replied "Did I get Duke".  Bobby went flying out of the house to see if I had actually shot his dog.  The old chicken of a dog was buried so far under the deck again that it took him a minute to come out.   I got one poor picture before I learned the battery in the camera was dead too. 
I say what I think not think what I say.

cathryn

pitw

cathryn

i musta missed a previous post. i ddint know.

pitw

One of my customers brought the cow over for me to use as bait.  So far this winter I've shot 14 cows and 3 bulls for different landowners and they either let me chase them to where I want them or they haul them out to the bush for me.  Funny how you get to use their places when you are willing to do the things they don't want to do temselves.

cathryn

ok, im being nosy now,lol.why do they want them shot? im assuming since ya get to shoot them where you want them, it isnt for meat?

pitw

cathryn these are cows that cannot go to the market mainly from cancer eye.  They are all cows that are not fit for human consumption.  The farmers just don't like doing it themselves because they're afraid they will miss or they just don't like killing.  I try to do a good job as it is something that needs done and when it comes my turn I sure don't want somebody putting me down while he has his head turned the other way.

cathryn

thans for taing the time to explain it to me though it was none of my business. i figured  they were sick or injured animals.

Jimmie in Ky

Amen Pitw, Many people don't like the bad parts of farming and ranching. But they are part of the job. I do my own because I want it done right the first time. And folks sure don't understand the need when we have veterinary medicine around to care for the poor beast. But when the vet says it can't be done someone has to do it. Jimmie

FinsnFur

I need a couple of those planted down here Barry. :eyebrownod:

sippin latt`e and shooting coyotes from the window next to the warm fireplace :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Its kinda strange to me that some people in the business of farming don't care for the killing part of it.  I guess they get emotionally attached to the animals.   :shrug:   

cathryn

emotions screw up everything.

Silencer

There's a couple calves someone put out at the club I belong to.  Its been almost 2 weeks and nothing's come near em.  They're so stiff n frozen the crows havent even been pickin.

We took a 5 gallon bucket of a months worth of dinner leftovers and within 1 day it was gone with coyote tracks everywhere. 

pitw

Cathryn you are welcome I just happen to live in area where this is possible.
Jim I don't know what sippin latt`e is but here if you sip most anything you are considered stranger than a plaid rabbit.
Jimmie in Ky any job worth doing is worth doing well. 
Semp I don't understand it either but I get a lot of access to land because of it.   It cost's $150 to get your cat euthanized here now.  A trip to the farm by the vet is $250+.  So I'm sure I'll not run out of something to do soon.

A couple years ago we were having a poker game at the kitchen table.  5 landowners, me and our local CO just sitting and playing cards.  The dog started barking and everybody looked over at the window and there on top of the couch was my spotlight.  We cannot legally discharge a firearm after dark here.  After listening to Duke bark for half an hour the CO finally said "shoot the damb thing just don't expect me to hold the light".  After I was done everyone was laughing with the CO who understands that some things just get done.

alscalls

I do the deed for a few folks myself......Congrats on the kill Barry I hope ya can get some good calling weather soon. :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

pitw

We pretty much always have good calling weather here.  Heres a a couple pictures after I charged the camera battery.

Donny

Bobby

alscalls

:yoyo: :yoyo: Cant wait to see those boys out hunting again :eyebrow:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

nastygunz

That is some mighty thick fur.

FinsnFur

I really, honestly think I could be so comfortable in that life style Barry. :wink:

Sippin latt'e is terminology used by folks like you and I, to describe rich folks kickin back drinking fancy flavored coffees.

I seriously didn't mean any offense to you by it, and i know you didn't take any from it. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Quote from: FinsnFur on February 13, 2009, 01:42:28 AM
I really, honestly think I could be so comfortable in that life style Barry. :wink:

Sippin latt'e is terminology used by folks like you and I, to describe rich folks kickin back drinking fancy flavored coffees.

I seriously didn't mean any offense to you by it, and i know you didn't take any from it. :wink:

No wonder I didn't know what you were talking about.  I don't drink any coffee and French isn't one of my better subjects.  Why would I take offence to it?  Heck I love rich folk as they pay me to do what I like doing and when they're stuck I find it to be great humor.