• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Night hunt

Started by Frogman, March 19, 2009, 10:50:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frogman

I got out with a friend this evening 3/18/09 for a night hunt.  It was his first time out at night.  On the first stand we heard coyotes barking about 500 yards away across a creek in a wooded area.  This was about 9:00 PM.  They barked intermittantly for the next hour, but didn't seem interested in coming any closer.  So we got up and moved to another area closer to them and set up again.  We thought the coyotes were up on a hill to our right where a dead cow carcass had laid for a few days.  We wanted to be set up facing that hill.  Big mistake!!  After just a few howls and barks on my new WVHillbillyhowler howler, ("...howler howler", that doesn't quite sound right). The coyotes really lit up right across the creek behind us not 50 yards away.  Sounded like there were three of them.  They were CLOSE!!  Problem was they were across the creek which has considerable brush along both sides of it and we couldn't see through the brush with the lights.  So we got up and moved to an area where we could see a little bit across the creek.  I kept barking and trying to imitate the coyotes while my friend tried to get a shot.  Finally he said, "I see one, should I shoot?"  He had my gun which has the Optronix light mounted on it.  I said, "go ahead shoot."  The next thing I heard was, "click".  The bolt had not gone completely into battery???   :rolleye:   :madd:  ARRGH??  By the time we got things right the coyotes had quite talking to us and were gone.  We were busted!! 

Thing is they stayed right there and barked back and forth at me for at least 15 minutes.  All the time just 50 yards away.  Way exciting!! 

Here is a picture of the first ones we heard . . .

This is our second set up . . .

It was a very black dark night.  Sorry the pics didn't come out better???

Had a great time and I really like my new howler!!   :congrats:  WVHillbillyhowler just needs to shorten his handle a little??

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Bills Custom Calls

Sounds like a great time

Thanks for the story
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

wvhillbillyhowler

BEEN ON DOGS ALL WEEK JUST CANT SEAL THE DEAL HAD DOGS AT FIFTY LAST NIGHT HEAVY BRUSH NOSEE EYES HBH THATS SHORT  :roflmao:

Hidehunter

Sounds like a great night hunt.  :yoyo: Your pics arent coming up at all on my puter  :shrug:
Denver                                           

msmith

Sounds like a great time. Thanks for the pics. It's like I was there. I also like the camo on that rifle. Is that Realtree Advantage?

Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Frogman

Actually Mike that's new night hunting camo I'm thinking about taking comercial.  I will call it "Midnight Black Hole Night Hunting Camo".  Works really well, don't you think??

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

HaMeR

Cool deal!!

The flash doesn't work on your camera Jim!!   :nono:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

msmith

Quote from: Frogman on March 20, 2009, 07:19:39 PM
Actually Mike that's new night hunting camo I'm thinking about taking comercial.  I will call it "Midnight Black Hole Night Hunting Camo".  Works really well, don't you think??

Jim

Yeah, I can hardly see it even though you're in the wide open.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI