• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Afzelia ?

Started by Silencer, March 23, 2009, 06:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silencer

Yall heard of this wood ?  Seen a duck call made out of it and wanted to research it.  Figured I start here with my FnF crew  :biggrin:

BigB

It can be some choice stuff.  It's a burl wood, a lot like Amboyna burl.  Usually has some good figure in it. :yoyo:

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

Yotehntr

Very pretty wood, I have a stash of it myself. Here's a pic of one I made with Afzeila and 2 pieces of Buffalo horn. (bead and toneboard)
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Silencer

Very Perty  :bowingsmilie:  thats a sweet call  :yoyo:    I gotta go do a goggle search and find where its native. 

Thanks for the pic !!!

Edit: Afzelia is a genus in the subfamily Caesalpinioideae of the family Fabaceae (legumes). The thirteen species all are trees, native to tropical Africa or Asia.

I figured it was from Africa from the name. 

duckslayer

That is a great looking wood and another great looking call.
" And have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the fowl of the heavens, and all animals that move upon the earth." Gen 1:28
" He was a mighty hunter before the Lord.  Therefore it is said, even as NIMROD the mighty hunter before the Lord." Gen 10:

HaMeR

I know it makes some purdy nice pens!! I really like turning it too.  It turns smooth, sands nice & takes a finish very well. I think you'll like it.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

I have no idea what any of you just said. :doh2:
Half of those names I can't even pronounce. But that call looks sweet as hell Yotehntr, looks like there's been some serious buffing done to it. You can see the lights reflection it it.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Todd Rahm

Its a wood with a beauty that can fool you into paying $40 for an average $20 call, and its a wood, that when in the hands of a great spinner, can become a family heirloom or a call of the ages.  :biggrin: