• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Contest hunts.

Started by onecoyote, July 16, 2009, 09:52:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onecoyote

Do you guys have contest hunts? I know some people don't like contest hunts but some of us do, I know I sure did. If you do how are they run? One day or two, any night hunting?
The club I was in had contest hunts starting back in 1959, If you can find the book you can read about some of those hunts in Jim Doughertys  ( The Varmint Callers Digest ) talks about the old Arizona vs California hunts down at the Colorado river with some pictures. Another fun book to read.

alscalls

Not enough legal participation here .....folks would get drunk and run ATV's all over trying to wear out there calls here if we did that and things would go south from there... :rolleye:
To many misconceptions of how hard it is to get a coyote to a call around here....... :madd:
I hope they never do it here cause my farm has enough poachers on it now.
Though I would love to hunt in a real good one myself I am confident someone around here would ruin it for everyone.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

We've never had any on the board Pat.
Well...a while back we kinda had one. We ran a contest for the first one to bag a coyote with a white tip tail, but it wasn't anything major.
I cant even remember what we gave away now.  :confused:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

onecoyote

Thats to bad, contest can be alot of fun. Let me just say, when I did contest I meet many other predator hunters, some of them are still my friends to this day.
We never hunted for money, we hunted for bragging rights and a trophy. I do think money can and does cause trouble in some contest hunts, so does drinking alot. Don't get me wrong, I love my beer but there is a time and place for it. Oh well, I just wondered if you guys did contest. Thanks for the info...............Good hunting

alscalls

I would enjoy an on line contest however I would need plane tickets to go West......... :eyebrow:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

FinsnFur

Fire one up. I dont have anything against it. I was just stating that we hadnt had any. Doesnt mean we cant. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

onecoyote

FoxPro has an on line contest, check it out maybe it can give you some ideas.

Jimmie in Ky

Onecoyote, I happened to be one of the kids that regularly checked out the Varmint hunters digest at the library. All these years later I wish that I had bought one. I had one heck of a laugh over th bumble bee hunts Jim mentioned in the bck of the book. It reminded me of my spider huunting with a bb gun  :biggrin: Jimmie

Bopeye

Onecoyote, we don't have contest hunts, but we do have an annual hunt. The first full weekend of February we have a get together at the Land Between the Lakes on the Kentucky/Tennessee line. No competition, just some bragging rights and a whole lot of fellowship and fun.
We've been doing this hunt for six, seven, maybe even eight years now and I have met several folks on this board at that hunt. Some of my most cherished friends attend that hunt. I love seeing them there.  :wink:

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

onecoyote

JimmyinKentucky,
I was lucky enough to meet Jim Dougherty at a national calling contest held in Southern California. He had come all the way from Oklahoma to visit with some of his old friends and compete in the contest. Of course I have a copy of the book, Varmint Hunter's Digest and it's signed by Dougherty himself. You can sometimes find the book for sale on Ebay. It's worth every bit of the money you have to pay. Jim Dougherty and Doug Kittredge were the two most famous predator callers from California.
Bopeye,
That's what it's all about, fun, great friends and bragging rights. I'm glad to hear you guys have something like that going on. That's a good thing. When you get older those memories become extremely important and so do those old friendships.
Good Hunting