• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Differences in eastern and western coyotes

Started by Bopeye, July 17, 2009, 05:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyotehunter_1

Pretty good write up there, Richard.
Coyotes... west vs. east, are they the same animal? We've seen this subject debated for several years now. With today's DNA research, studies have become even more accurate. This also gives us hunters something to think about. Deriving from DNA testing results, if they find very few of our eastern coyotes to be 100% pure coyote... the DNR declares the larger eastern coyote to be a new sub-species, possibly one needing protection... then I'll bet we will see even more restrictive coyote hunting regulations in our future.

Just something to think about,

Chet
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

Bopeye

Al,
To be honest, dogs can differ so much genetically it's crazy.

I have always kept a dog or thirteen around my house and it amazes me how different they can be.

They can even be different internally. Did you know I could give my dogs 1/10 of a cc for every 10 pounds of bodyweight of Ivomec for heartworms. However, if you give a Collie Ivomec it will kill them. Why is that? I don't know why they differ from all other dogs, but it will kill a collie graveyard dead while not harming any other breed to my knowledge.

Some differences can be so slight that we don't even notice it, but could be deadly. It's mind boggling.
How much more is there left for us to learn? Who knows?

I do know that the more I learn, the dumber I feel.  :eyebrownod:

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

coyotehunter_1

:wo: As a side note, looking over CCP's map I see my area is marked... that needs to be updated.

Today there are NO COYOTES IN MY AREA, sorry. It seems the migrating Bigfoot's (from the Florida swaps) done ate them all. :argh: :sad:

Bop,
I wonder how many domestic K-9's will show wolf or "other" canine DNA in their make up?  :wink:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

alscalls

When I first started deer hunting I could not pass up any deer as I grew in the sport I found I could learn a lot by passing on them and just watching the animal.......
I have been doing this on some of the yote hunts Nick and I have been on lately........Very interesting results with their reaction to decoys..... :eyebrownod:
I have found .So far that if I put something in the decoy coyotes mouth, the coyotes ...if they see the decoy will approach quickly.......If I stand the yote decoy over an object on the ground they bristle up and sit down and bark at it....(I think its a dominance thing)
Lots to learn for sure but it is fun in deed I have also found that if you are able to wait long enough.....more coyotes will come in.
I hope to find out more on this later to be sure there is something to it but I find it fascinating.
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

onecoyote

I can't hunt anymore but I can think, I think  lol. I have always heard all man made dogs are related to wolves as are coyotes. If that is true then all dogs and coyotes would have wolf DNA, right?
Eastern coyotes are bigger then western ones on the average and come in different colors. I believe wolves and coyotes have mated over the years but I don't think it was gray wolves. Red wolves are about the same size as some of the larger eastern coyotes, wolves come in different colors so it all adds up,got to be a wolf in there somewhere.
The main reason I don't think it was gray wolves is because the gray wolf would eat the coyotes given the chance.  Trying to think like like the dirty old dog I use to be. If a female coyote or wolf gets in heat, I don't think it would matter much to a male. I think I may be over thinking lol.

Bopeye

A guy up in the Arctic area got into trouble a year or two ago for shooting a grizzly out of season. I saw it on the Discovery Channel.
Only problem was the thing was white like a Polar Bear, which he did have a tag to hunt.
After much hoopla and him facing very severe penalties they used DNA and found that it was a Polar/Grizzly mix.

At first most authorities wouldn't believe it because these two bears are natural enemies. They showed footage of a much smaller grizzly chasing a couple big polar bears off of a feeding area. Another puzzling fact was they didn't think their territories overlapped. Then they found some grizzly remains on that frozen island, which proved grizzly bears did venture that far. The taxidermy man couldn't use a grizzly mount or a polar bear mount to mount the bear, so he worked on it some. Ya need to see it. Craziest looking bear ya ever saw.

Our DNA and a monkeys DNA are almost identical too. I hope nobody shoots me for being a Sliver Back.  :laf:

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

onecoyote

This is in reference to Cathryn's post. No offense intended but western coyotes on average are smaller than eastern coyotes. Wyoming coyotes definitely have better fur, they're the ones that sell for the most money. The fur, especially on these coyotes can make the coyote appear much larger than it really is. If you case out a prime western coyote, it'll look like a greyhound.
The biggest western coyote I have ever seen weighed on a scale was 43 lbs. taken in Northern Nevada. I have seen pictures of eastern coyotes that go over 60 lbs. The average western coyote is probably in the range of 20 to 25 lbs. If you go to the southern deserts, they weigh even less.
Good hunting