• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

are predators smart?

Started by bigben, June 26, 2009, 06:59:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onecoyote

coyoterhunter_1, thank you for the kind words. I am by no means any kind of so called  expert when it comes to predator calling, if I can help anybody that is my goal. I have been in this game a long time but all my hunting has been out west. I do believe some of the western techniques would work east of the big river so why not put it out there for callers to try.

I don't know if you know this but I can't hunt anymore because of a disease I have. I stay in the house 24-7 with nothing better to do then play on the computer, not a good life for someone who loves the outdoors, but I don't have a choice. I figure the best thing I can do is try to give back to the sport I love so much and thats what I'm trying to do.

God bless and good hunting this year.

possumal

I guess a lot of people have different ideas about what smart is.  In the case of coyotes, I believe they have one of the most refined examples of canine intelligence on the planet.  We all know how smart or intelligent domestic dogs can get from a little simple training, and animal trainers teach them to do things that borders on amazing (Skidboot the dog is a good example).  There is no doubt in my mind that the coyote pups learn their basic hunting skills from their parents as evidenced by coyotes in some areas not bothering cattle while coyotes in other places worry them constantly.  Our friend, Tikaani , up in God's country mentioned learned behavior representing a lot of their actions, and I believe he is 100% correct with that statement. The only training coyotes get from humans is when they have a bad experience with a human and live another day.  In Barren County, Ky., about twelve years ago, there was no evidence of coyotes bothering grown turkeys at all.  That changed from one year to the next which really interested me.  I spent the better part of two days high in a treestand that gave me a view of several hay bottoms and ridges.  I observed how the coyotes were getting the grown turkeys.  They had a couple of coyotes from the family group skirt the hay ridges and bottoms and the turkeys would run from them. It was obvious they weren't trying to get close enough to catch the turkeys, but guess who was waiting in the cover where the turkeys ran to?  If it was the coyotes' instinct that allowed them to do that, they would have known it all along.  There was no trainer out there to teach them that method, so I have to conclude they figured it out on their own.  Sounds like some shrewd thinking on their part, maybe even reasoning.  It is true that the pups of the year are relatively dumb when first dispersed and put out on their own, but "Learned behavior" as  Tikaani  called it can change all that a bunch if they live long enough.
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

nastygunz

And...while coyotes learn to fear man where hunted..they also learn to use man..in urban areas for garbage....house pets...they for sure patrol the roads picking up road kill...cant get a meal much easier then that...id love to know what a coyote is thinking in their brain when they cruise the roads picking up road kill...like do they wonder why the dead animals appear regularly on the road..what happened to them?...do they correlate the free food with automobiles?...do they link the automobiles to people?..fascinating stuff :yoyo:

onecoyote

Nastygunz, I don't think the coyotes cares where the dead critters come from, all they know is it's an easy meal so why not take advantage. Now and then the coyote becomes the road kill, for the next few months ( July Aug and Sept ) we usually see alot of dead RK coyotes, usually young ones.
I think they only relate trucks and cars to people when they get shot at. Many coyotes see cars all the time, it's only when they stop that the coyote gets a little nervous. By the way, making stands off of roads in good coyote country can make for some good hunting sometimes.....................It is fascinating stuff alright.

Good hunting to ya this year.

Bopeye

I want to take a moment to apologize to Onecoyote. If what I said in my previous post offended you then please forgive me. I had no idea you were the predator hunter that you are and I am saddened to hear that you are too sick to enjoy it anymore.

Every once in awhile we get new coyote hunters in here that make crap up to hear their own windpipes. I had just assumed you were one of these. That's what I get for jumping to conclusions. Once again, I am sorry.

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

nastygunz

I have seen and read of coyotes and foxes keying in on haying and nailing the critters that get flushed out by the tractor...they are def opportunistic foragers.

nastygunz

Speaking of roads, onecoyote, years ago I was heading north on I-91 in Vermont with my brother and he had just said hed never seen a coyote...they were pretty rare back then....when one came running across both lanes in full daylight...theres no traffic up there even now to speak of....pretty damn exciting though and perfect timing lol.

onecoyote

Bopeye,
I've been doing this internet thing on predator hunting forums since the beginning, so I understand. I take no offense to anything said because it is all part of being on the internet. Believe me, I am no one special. I have just been predator calling a long. long time. I'm no expert but I do have a thousand stories I could tell. Since I can't hunt anymore, memories and stories are all I got left. So please bear with me.  :wink:
Nastygunz,
Because I live out west, I see road crossers all the time, especially at this time of year with all the young ones around. Coyotes can pop up anywhere, I had one in my front yard a few weeks ago watering my trees. Here's a quick story for ya. When my wife and I lived in New Mexico, she had never seen a wild bear. We looked everywhere for one, going to some pretty remote areas, still never seen one. About noontime on our way to Ruidoso(mountain community), out from a parking lot next to a Pizza Hut came a young bear who ran into the road, looked around and then high tailed it outta there.
Good Callin

pitw

Living out west as well[albeit a bit further north] I can say with some experience that onecoyote is absolutely right about hunting along roadways.  On highway 13 2 miles south of my house to Hardisty there will be at least one and usually 3 and up to 8-10 deer hit every 24 hours.  The coyotes know this and stay close to the free grits.  I'm amazed that more coyotes are not run over :shrug:.  They will follow farm equipment around hoping to find dislodged rodents and other delites.  I would think if one of you call makers could make a call that sounds like plastic smashing into meat that it would be a winner around here :wo:.  Please tell some more stories one as I will enjoy any and all.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Bopeye

Quote from: pitw on July 16, 2009, 10:44:15 PM
 I would think if one of you call makers could make a call that sounds like plastic smashing into meat that it would be a winner around here :wo:

:laugh2: That is hilarious!! Good thinking.  :yoyo:

Okay, one of you callmakers need to man up and make one of those calls. :eyebrownod:

alscalls

I could bolt a chunk of Plastic on a string to Bops head that would sound like Plastic  hitting meat........(Meat head..get it...)
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:   :innocentwhistle:  Could not resist.....
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Bopeye

Oh....oh......you just earned this one Al.

BITE ME!!!   :laf:

alscalls

Two in one DAY!!!!!!!.......I gotta find a job....... :doh2:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

bigben

this actually turned into a good thread.  This is what i believe.  Do I believe that predators namely coyotes are smart?  no..... well kinda sorta.  they know how to use their instincts.  I do not believe that once they hear a certian sound and they bust someone or get shot at that they will never ever come in to that sound again.  they just use their senses more.  it isn't any different then a human really.  when you do something wrong you know there is a consequence.  hopefully you learned from it and do not do that exact mistake again.  now it might take em a few times till they realize hey you need to do it this way.  in otherwords they gain experience.  like humans though we forget about that close call and we do it again and get pinched again.  I see on the pa boards about how smart the eastern coyote is namely their coyotes.  well makes sense if it takes you a good many stands you gotta figure these things have to be smart.  it can't be me they say.  I am doing it just like in the videos.  and as most of us know most of the time the newer callers are the ones asking the questions and stating that their coyotes are smarter.  atleast it has been my observations of that.  so are they smart?  I guess I really worded the question wrong in the original post.  like stated before I do not believe they are as smart as humans but on that note think on it a bit.  if you have a new caller that has been calling coyotes for years and never killed one then I guess them coyotes he is calling is smarter then him?  I guess it is more along the lines of being the slow part of the season I wanted to stir up some conversation.  atleast a bit more then the normal "how do I call a yote in" question that comes around on most any board. 
"If you want to know all about a man, go camping with him. Probably you think you know him already, but if you have never camped on the trail with him, you do not". Eldred Nathaniel Woodcock. Fifty Years a Hunter and Trapper.