• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

2009 Canoe trip

Started by coyote101, August 06, 2009, 09:32:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coyote101

I went on my second annual canoe trip to Quetico Provincial Park in Canada last week. I went for the first time last July, expecting to go canoeing and camping with a little fishing on the side. The first evening I caught six smallmouth in seven casts and it turned into a fishing trip! I caught dozens of fish every day. I caught so many smallmouth the first day that I had to start wearing a glove because I was wearing the skin off my thumb lipping them to take the hook out.
This year I went planning on a fishing trip with some canoeing and camping thrown in. Well, the fish and the weather had different ideas. We had four days of travelling and four days of fishing planned. The travel days were mostly fair with some rain showers. Three of the four planned fishing days the wind blew twenty to thirty knots all day long and we were shore bound! Last Monday the wind started about 1:00 PM and blew nonstop till 8:00 PM Tuesday evening. During the time that we could get the canoes in and fish, they just weren't biting. So this year my fishing trip turned into a camping trip. I'm not complaining though; it is absolutely beautiful there and I feel richly blessed just having the opportunity to go. I spent most of the thousand mile drive back planning next year's trip. I hope to go every year as long as God blesses me with good enough health to do so. Anyway, here are a few pictures from my trip. Not many fish pictures, but I hope you enjoy them.

Pat

That's an eagle in the center of the picture.

A little paddling on calm water.

A waterfall along one of the many portages.

The put in at the end of a portage. All the gear has still got to be loaded back into the canoes.

My son looking out over the wind blown lake.

My son did manage to catch a few nice fish one afternoon. We ate prety good that evening.

Another waterfall.

Home sweet home at one of our windy rainy campsites.

The blueberries were in season and we took advantage of them.

We ate blueberry pancakes a couple of times and fashioned an oven out of two skillets
and some aluminum foil one day ...

and baked this great blueberry muffin.

I caught more fish in twenty minutes in these rapids on the last morning, than I caught all of the previous week!
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

weedwalker

Great pics Pat!! :yoyo: :yoyo: Even with the weather it still looks like a great trip.
That muffin looks dang good too.

FinsnFur

Wow, awesome pics. It looks so relaxing up there.
Looks like a dang good time.

You guys made due pretty well with that little oven too. :congrats:

Thanks for sharing those pics. :wink:

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

alscalls

WOW ......Someday I hope to do something like this......Until then , thanks for taking us with ya. :wink:  :yoyo: :yoyo:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

KySongDog

Looks like you had a great time!  See any black bears?   With all those berries I figure there should be one or two around.   :eyebrownod:

coyote101

We saw a few deer, some squirrels, and a couple of snakes, along with the gulls, loons and eagles. No moose, bears or wolves. I took a call with me hoping to try to get a bear, wolf, lynx, fox or something to come in, but the opportunity never really presented itself. I didn't want to do it around camp, and was planning to try from the canoe somewhere away from camp on one of the fishing days, but just never got the chance. Maybe next year.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

iahntr

Great pics, Thanks a lot for sharing them with us.
Too bad the wind didn't cooperate with ya, but
like ya said, it's a blessing just to be out there.
Beautiful country for sure. The fresh blueberry
pancakes and muffin sound and look dang good!
Scott
Scott

pitw

oooooooouuuuu that looked fun :yoyo: :yoyo:  Love the camp and am glad you enjoyed your time.  I had to go get a cookie after I saw the fish[weren't the same].  Socks get wet?
I say what I think not think what I say.

slagmaker

wonderfull pics.

thanks for sharing
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

blackfish

Thanks for sharing the photos!!My Son and me are headed up to the Boundary Waters the 24th of the month. After looking at your pics ,I think I made the right move by booking the trip! Thanks Pat!
You don't never wanta do no assumtin' !
            Henry Frapp

Bills Custom Calls

I really enjoyed the pics
Looks like a nice time
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

Hawks Feather

Really nice pictures and even if the fishing was off I am sure that it was good to get away and relax for a few days. 

Jerry

Tikaani

Great pictures Pat.  Beautiful country to spend some time with your son. 

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

HaMeR

Purdy cool Pat!! Thanks for taking us along with ya again this year thru your photos!!  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

vvarmitr

Quote from: coyote101 on August 06, 2009, 10:17:39 PM
I took a call with me hoping to try to get a bear, wolf, lynx, fox or something to come in, ...  I didn't want to do it around camp, and was planning to try from the canoe somewhere away from camp on one of the fishing days,

Pat

Now that's thinking! :laf:

That looks so wonderful!  :biggrin:
Thanks so much for sharing :wink:

Frogman

Looks like great trip Pat.  Thanks for sharing with us!!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

mandi48

nice pics. looks like fun!  :yoyo:
I am not a murderer, i am a hunter