• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Done with a friend.

Started by pitw, November 26, 2009, 06:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pitw

I think I told you guys about Don Hall, the fellow who's guns I had to have this summer :shrug:.  Well he also sold me the old .54 cal muzzle loader I've shown before and the deal was that it keeps on taking meat.  I have been hunting my moose with old Don whenever I have the chance.  The old gun has taken White tail, Muley and today a Moose.  Before I pulled the trigger I said "Don it's now or maybe never" and touched the trigger.  A cloud of white smoke appeared and left in short order, leaving me the same exact picture I saw before I pulled the trigger again.  I was feeling mighty miserable and thinking this ain't ever gonna work, when that young bull stumbled and then did a circle.  He layed down slowly and I found him like this.

The maxiball hit him pretty much right where I wanted and I don't know how cause them sights suck.

They sometimes fall so that picture taking is a cinch eh.

Phoned my buddy who I helped look after cows this year cause he was laid up and he came with this.

I'm about as proud of the old Ford as I am of the gun cause she has now hauled a male of the four species home for me.  Also many for other people.

Being cheap and not liking stores much I used hand poured .535 maxi ball for this adventure and it did it's job.

People I can say I have shot a few animals but I don't know if any of them compare to this little bull in meaning for me and thanks for looking.
I say what I think not think what I say.

alscalls

That Is REALLY Awesome!!!!!   :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo: :yoyo:  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:  :highclap: :highclap: :highclap: :highclap: :highclap: :highclap: :highclap: :highclap: :highclap: :highclap: :highclap: :highclap: :highclap: :highclap:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

iahntr

Very nice Barry !!  :thumb2:  :highclap: :highclap:
That's great when there's extra meaning to it too.
A lot of good eatin for the family.
Thanks for sharin.  Congratulations !!
Scott

weedwalker

Congradulations Barry !! :highclap: :highclap: :highclap:
You'll have plenty to eat this year. :yoyo: :yoyo:

golfertrout

pitw

There was no wind today and not five minutes after I shot, Bang another shot not far away to the west.   I cleared a trail to my moose as best I could without my saw[Mandy brought that with the old ford] and then while waiting for help I went for a short drive west as I had time.  Came driving up this trail and whoa.

Just for size reference[and lying later in life] I put the old gun on this guy as there was no one around to bother me.

Turns out it was a guy I had gone to school with from day one to the end of grade 12.   Nice animal for sure and right between the eyes.  6 years ago we both shot our moose on the same day too.  I had shot mine betwixt the eyes and he chased his for 6 miles and 7 shots[he learned something that day].  After Dave and Mandy showed up and loaded mine I went back out by him to see if he was back and needed help loading.  Nope.

HaMeR

That's really cool Barry.  :yoyo:  And I know how you hit right where you wanted to & so does Don.  :wink:  Nice lookin bull for sure & you even had a new pen to fill the tag out with. How cool is that?  :biggrin:

About how much would your bull weigh?? 800lbs??  About how many pounds of meat will he let you have??  :shrug:

I had moose meat for the 1st time today. Mom & Dad's Friend from Canada comes down every year to have dinner with us on Thanksgiving & he brought it.  It was very good  & a lot more tender than I thought it would be. Seems he let it hang for about 2 weeks.

Congratulations Barry!!  :congrats: :congrats:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

pitw

Quote from: HaMeR on November 26, 2009, 07:42:00 PM
That's really cool Barry.  :yoyo:  And I know how you hit right where you wanted to & so does Don.  :wink:  Nice lookin bull for sure & you even had a new pen to fill the tag out with. How cool is that?  :biggrin:

About how much would your bull weigh?? 800lbs??  About how many pounds of meat will he let you have??  :shrug:

I had moose meat for the 1st time today. Mom & Dad's Friend from Canada comes down every year to have dinner with us on Thanksgiving & he brought it.  It was very good  & a lot more tender than I thought it would be. Seems he let it hang for about 2 weeks.

Congratulations Barry!!  :congrats: :congrats:

Thanks HaMeR :readthis:.

The pen quit  :laf:[but that don't matter as we don't fill out anything on a tag].
My little guy was young and wouldn't have weighed more than 550lbs.  The other one would weigh in around 1000 at least.  I'll get somewhere around 250lbs of usable meat off mine.
We love moose meat in our house and it is very tender.  Probably my favorite wild game meat. :biggrin:  I'll cut it up tomorrow cause it's skinned today and they dry out real bad[kinda/sorta have to skin them again if you let it hang for a week.

msmith

Great story and great pics!  :yoyo:  Love your rifle too.  :biggrin:
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

Hawks Feather

Barry,

Congratulations on the moose.  Compared to the whitetails around here that is one BIG hunk of meat.  Like Glen I have had moose once and it was great. 

Jerry

FinsnFur

Yeah one of the things on my, to be thankful for list,  is your found talent in running a camera and posting pics. :highclap:
Thats some pretty cool stuff right there. We dont get to see Moose heaped up very often.

That big guy musta really got close to the gunner before he went down, his eyes are bugged out :laf:

Cant say I've ever had Moose meat.
Thanks for taking us along, that was a pretty cool story ya started er out with :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Quote from: FinsnFur on November 26, 2009, 08:55:17 PM
Yeah one of the things on my, to be thankful for list,  is your found talent in running a camera and posting pics. :highclap:
I figured you'd be sick of me by now and now with my swollen head it'll get worse :wink:.

Quote from: FinsnFur on November 26, 2009, 08:55:17 PM
Thanks for taking us along, that was a pretty cool story ya started er out with :congrats:

It brought tears to my eyes just writing it :shrug:.

Yotehntr

:yoyo: Really cool story Barry! Always enjoy reading them!
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

HaMeR

Thanks for the info Barry.  A huge whitetail here would go 250lbs on the hoof & you got that much meat from your moose.  :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

msmith

Barry, my wife is mad at you.  Now I have moose on my list of things to hunt.  :biggrin:

The weather you are having seems to be pretty moderate.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

coyote101

Very nice Barry. Thanks for sharing.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

5 SHOTS

I don't know how i missed this....eyesight maybe but it brought a tear to my eye too. Congratulations on the moose and keeping the promise.
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

KySongDog

Congrats, Barry!   :congrats:   I've never ate moose but I hear 12,000 wolves can't be wrong.    :biggrin:

HuntnCarve

Congratulations on a fine Bull Barry!  And to take it with a unique rifle, makes it all the more special!

Dave