• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Normal LBL Fustration!!

Started by JDMiller, December 18, 2009, 09:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JDMiller

I've been hitting LBL fairly often lately hunting different locations each time. The closest I've come sealing the deal this month was a few weeks ago..being busted from a yote slipping in behind me. Today alone... morning & evening combined I made 5 stands.... no takers. The places I'm hitting... lots of sign....even heard a group yipping & howlin about 7 am on my first set-up within what sounded like only a few hundred yards. I know their there and know the area well... just seems this time of year at LBL...December is a lull on getting yotes to respond to calls. 

I had the same fustration set in last December... seemed nothing I could do would call a yote in. Then January....seemed everything I tried would get a response... not necessarily meaning I closed the deal but definitely keeping me fired up. Right now... I would just like to get a good look at one to remind me they still occasionally come to a call. :eyebrownod:

Love to hunt these critters but they sure can humble you at times.

KySongDog

It sure sounds like you are hunting in the right spots.  That is a big piece of the coyote hunting pie, me thinks.   :eyebrownod:   They gotta hear ya to respond and they will, just keep after 'em.     :biggrin:

JDMiller

Quote from: Semp on December 18, 2009, 10:07:30 PM
It sure sounds like you are hunting in the right spots.  That is a big piece of the coyote hunting pie, me thinks.   :eyebrownod:   They gotta hear ya to respond and they will, just keep after 'em.     :biggrin:

I agree 100%.

I'm a little timid on my vollume.... never been one to really crank it up. However.. today was calm.... especially this morning. On top of ridges.....leaves off.... wind in my favor... I think they should of heard it. ... just dont know. I know it souds silly on my part.... but yotes there just dont act right. Pressured public ground.... again I just dont have any reason but they dont act or respond as good as hunting farms in the state.

You know the old saying... a blind hog finds an acorn every so often.... maybe I'll luck into some with less intelligence or suicidal tendencies. :eyebrownod:

KySongDog

I think you are right.  The LBL coyotes get a lot of pressure no doubt.   Add to that the crazy way the wind and thermals play up, down, in, and out of those hills and hollows coming from the lake, and it makes for some frustrating (as in hair pulling  :madd: ) situations.   :eyebrownod:

Silencer

They have to be called in at some point, the guys here usually get a couple come round-up time  :biggrin:

KySongDog

Quote from: Silencer on December 19, 2009, 05:58:16 AM
They have to be called in at some point, the guys here usually get a couple come round-up time  :biggrin:

That one I got Wednesday came off the LBL.  JD has gotten several at LBL also.  So he knows how to play that game there.   :biggrin:

Jimmie in Ky

And my truck is still in the shop . Some nut broke my drive shaft while replacing the u joint  :argh: But the paint job looks great. Jimmie

LBLDOG

Hang in there JD, you have already proved you can kill them in LBL. I have been there twice myself with no luck. The ones on here that hunt LBL a lot know that these dogs aren't the same as County dogs. Semp summed it up on the wind, the wind can be like a toilet bowl swirling around and these dogs have A LOT more calling pressure than County. I will be there Monday morning on my day off.  Goodluck JD next time you go!!

Jimmie in Ky

JD, don't worry too much about being timid with the volume. Keep playing it on the safe side and let the newbies make hte mistakes. And consider the terrain in there compared to farm areas you hunt. It causes problems with the winds and sound carrying capabilities of your calls. It urks me the number of times I have had to be practically on top of them to get responses, but that is the way it is in there.

Look at the sign for the direction it gives you. Pay attention to where it goes and comes from and connect the dots. Dificult to say on this forum and easier to show you. But I believe you can figure it out. Jimmie

topdawg

i was like that on the volume also till i got about 200 yards from my buddy and had him crank up the volume ....i was surprised at what i couldn't hear.........my volume is wide open now
my goal: do as much as I can, as fast as I can, for as long as I can, and at the end of the day if I'm not satisfied I will be to wore out to care

LBLDOG

That's interesting Jeremy, I will have to turn the Foxpro up from now on! I usually put it  at about 1/4

topdawg

dont just take my word for it because i have never used a foxpro..... dont really no how loud they are...... turn it on and back away from it and see what it sounds like.......

at the end of last year and all of this year i have been using hand calls and making them as loud as possible...i have been out about ten days this year and already called in more yotes than i did last year.....i dont know if it was the loud calling or just the right spot at the right time..... so  the way i think is its hard to call in a yote if it never heard you   just my 2 cents

PS: if you turn your caller wide open and a yote runs like hell away from you...dont blame me CCP gave me the tip last year   lol :roflmao:
my goal: do as much as I can, as fast as I can, for as long as I can, and at the end of the day if I'm not satisfied I will be to wore out to care

LBLDOG

Palegroe

TopDawg took his LBL fustrations with him today!  ME he done a great job of calling a cat in close enough I thought it was going to untie my shoes this morning and I missed it.  Drew fur but no blood we tracked it for a good ways but never found any traces of blood.  Looks like the Cats won two today.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with Him.  Rev 6:8

topdawg

do you have that shotgun ready yet  :innocentwhistle:

Palegroe

Looking at chokes and dead coyotes now!
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with Him.  Rev 6:8