• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

A little checkering on an open reed

Started by BigB, January 03, 2010, 09:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigB

I've been tinkering around lately with the checkering tools and practicing on some duck calls.  Checkering takes forever, and while I was practicing on a duck call, I had an idea to try out on a predator call.  It's a similar concept to a raised checkered panel, where the checkered panel is above the rest of the call body.  I also cheated with this method as I didn't have to worry about any overruns as well.

African blackwood with a brass band , open reed predator call.  There's about 6 hours of checkering work in this call. 

Thanks for looking,
Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

pitw

Holy freaking triple wow is that pretty. :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:
As Dave would say to Al, "Is that mine".
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

That is very nice.
Sharp, crisp points...nice work!
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Yotehntr

Very nice Brian! Man 6 hr's just in the stipling! I didn't know it took so long... I was wanting to give that a try...hmmm maybe sometime. LOL  The call is killer bud!
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

Todd Rahm

Well Brian someone emailed me the pic and I have say  "Stunning"  :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: You make that brass band sing to me on that call, and I have never been a bras band freak. Thats like a "Mercedes" in the call Making hobby.  :congrats:   

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

alscalls

AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

vvarmitr

Here is what I think of that call ....
How much do I have to pay to own that? :biggrin: 
Hint Hint!  :eyebrow:

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Hawks Feather

Great looking call.  I messed with checkering years ago and just long enough to know that I didn't want to do it.  And I was just trying to recut an existing pattern on a gunstock.  Great work.

Jerry

iahntr

Scott

Huntinfool

Wow that's some great lookin' checkering!  :eyebrownod:

~HF~
Yesterday is Wood
Tomorrow is Ashes
Only Today Does the
Fire Burn Brightly

Romans 8:28

Montani Semper Liberi --- ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛÎ'Î'Ε

Coulter

Awesome Brian!! 6 Hours...yikes. I'm sure mucho patience is also required. Great looking call man.

golfertrout

i dont duck hunt Barry or i would have said          is that mine?  lol        very nice call :highclap:

shaddragger

:congrats: Wow that is one sharp call Brian. The brass band and checkering are first class!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Huntinfool

Quote from: golfertrout on February 13, 2010, 07:49:21 AM
i dont duck hunt Barry or i would have said          is that mine?  lol        very nice call :highclap:

Well I do duck hunt is the a requirement to buy a predator call nowadays! LOL! :eyebrownod:  :biggrin:  :hahaha:

I do believe that's a predator call is it for sale BigB?

~HF~
Yesterday is Wood
Tomorrow is Ashes
Only Today Does the
Fire Burn Brightly

golfertrout

:shrug: dont know where i got duck call from :shrug: its a beutiful call big B :yoyo:

Huntinfool

Quote from: golfertrout on February 16, 2010, 08:26:26 AM
:shrug: dont know where i got duck call from :shrug: its a beutiful call big B :yoyo:

It is a beaut isn't it!

I know where ya got duck call from! I did too till I went back and reread it! LOL! Easy mistake to make!  :doh2:

The OP said this,
QuoteCheckering takes forever, and while I was practicing on a duck call, I had an idea to try out on a predator call.

~HF~
Yesterday is Wood
Tomorrow is Ashes
Only Today Does the
Fire Burn Brightly

BigB

Quote from: Huntinfool on February 15, 2010, 11:02:40 PM

I do believe that's a predator call is it for sale BigB?

~HF~

This one isn't for sale.  It's the first predator call that I checkered, and I like to keep all of the first calls that I do in a new style.

Thanks,
Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech