• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Switching Sounds

Started by FinsnFur, January 06, 2010, 12:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinsnFur

Yeah, no bloody snow. :confused:

If I could criticize your technique, respectfully of course, I'd have to say that I dont think you should show half your hand on a single stand. Hey that rhymed! :yoyo:

You used four different sounds on a single stand and even though I am able to reason with the possible scenarios that may justify all those different sounds, and a coyote cannot,  I can't come up with one and cant help but to wonder what the coyote thinks when he hears a playlist like that.

No disrespect, just something to talk about. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

KySongDog

Changing sounds on stand.  A good topic, me thinks.

My trip before last to LBL, I set up and played the bunny blues on an off for a while.  After about 20-25 minutes went to ki-yi's and got a group yip howling what seemed like a mile away (probably lots closer).  Did a lone howl and then some challenge howls and then back to bunny blues.  At about the 40 minute mark in comes a coyote which winded me ( in other words I screwed up)  due to the infamous LBL thermals.   Did it hear all the sounds?   Don't know for sure.   But I do know the bunny blues weren't working to begin with.   :shrug:

Maybe I was just lucky this time and maybe most of the time changing sounds won't work.  I don't know but I'd like to hear what some of the guys with a bunch of coyotes under their belt have to say about it.   

FinsnFur

Actually the bunny blues and then KiYi's is a reknown combination. And rumor has it that the reason it works is because it's a real scenerio filled with sounds that actually plays out quite often.

There's a coyote eating a rabbit, the rabbit is squalling about it. (bunny blues)

Then a territory coyote shows up to defend his ground and food supply and they get in a scrap.(KiYi's)

Quite common actually. And they can relate to that cause it's a combination of sounds they can relate and react to.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

weedwalker

I don't know. :shrug: I change sounds a lot based on reactions I've seen myself from coyotes.
I have seen them out in a field completely ignoring the sound I;m using. I switch to another sound and they ignore it. I switch to another sound, they look up and start coming in. I know it heard the other sounds and just ignored them. So why would it come to a different sound from the same location after hearing the others? Who knows? :shrug: But if I hadn't changed sounds he wasn't going to come in.
So, based on my own experience, I change sounds if nothing is responding after a few minutes of calling. I might use 4 or 5 sounds sometimes on a 30 minute stand.

FinsnFur

My thoughts are... changing sounds isnt as much of a factor as what sounds are used. As it's all in attempt to fool the coyote right?
I dont think coyotes can reason, but they arent stupid by far. Playing sequences of different sounds that dictate actual situations can only improve your odds.

For example, fox in distress followed up with a lone howl is a pretty unlikely scenerio that a coyote has heard enough to feel confident of what he may find by approaching it.

Or maybe  even a series of distress followed by the female invite, which is basically the same. How many coyotes mix hunting and copulating in the same 15 minute span? :nono:

An even more obvious example. Your setting in the living room watching TV. Your wife is setting the supper table. A very common and routine situation for you. Your very familiar with the sounds going on around you as she does this.

You can hear the silverware being laid out along side the plates and soon after she says,  "c'mon it's ready".
All sounds that you respond to accordingly based on experience, no interaction or visuals took place.
Your common reaction based on the series of sounds you just heard is too get up and go seat yourself at the table.

Now take the same situation and replace it with different sounds. Sounds that you either have never heard in such a scenario, or sounds that you would never associate with the scenario.
Such as her saying you lazy SOB are you going to help me?....or "oh crap I just burnt the roast we'll have to go out for supper"...or broken glass followed by a scream.

In the case of any one of those sounds following up with what you considered normal sounds with a predictable outcome based on experience, are you going to get up and go be seated at the table as normal?

Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

FinsnFur

I split this topic to prevent from Hijacking HaMeR's any further :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers

pitw

In Jims scenario I'll end up going to the table for no other reason than it might be the safe thing to do  :whew:.  As for coyotes I guess I do more one sound stands than anything but if there isn't anything coming I'll try other sounds just to practice if nothing else.  Sometimes I'll see one[could have been coming fro the original or not] and sometimes not[probably weren't any within hearing distance as it sure couldn't be my calling :innocentwhistle:].  Coyotes seem to have their own playbook and I've never got a chance to decipher it and even a coyote seems able to ad lib at anytime.
I say what I think not think what I say.

Jimmie in Ky

As far as I am concerned there is only one reason to switch sounds. To piss somebody off !! That way I know I will get a reaction. Lone howl and wait ten minutes then kiyi's to top it off.  Or the bunny blues followed shortly by Kiyi's . Either will get the old dogs attention . 

As for just switching a lot of diferent sounds around , I don't believe your tripping a hunger response. You finally get to the curiosity of the coyote. 

Jimmie

alscalls

I agree Jimmy....

I like to think of it like your trying to wake someone up after they have worked a couple of double shifts.......
If you bug em enough.......they are gonna get tired of it and make a move......toward ya and mad......or away from ya....But they will eventually move..... :laf:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

JohnP

For coyotes I always start off with my bulb squeaker, after a few minutes with no results then I switch to a jack or cottontail distress if nothing shows up within about 10 minutes I'll go to coyote pup in distress for another five. 

For cats again I'll start with the bulb squeaker for a few minutes, if nothing shows I'll go to a bird or rodent distress for about twenty to thirty minutes.   
When they come for mine they better bring theirs

centerfire_223

I have never seen it as a problem for me. I use whatever sound to start with and when I get tired of hearing that I will change to something else. I think a coyote hears a distress sound and comes. It doesn't matter what the sound is just that it is in distress. Now sometimes it does take a change as in coyote vocalization to perk up their interest.

Now I know I haven't been calling as long as some, but that is the way it has worked for me. That is not just calling here in SC either. I do the same thing in NM or in Kentucky. Sound like your hurt and they will come.
Ronnie Cannon

------------->-

HaMeR

Sometimes I think my problem is I overthink this game. I'm gonna take a couple tips from here & try them next time. Especially the distress to kiyi idea. I understand that one & think it's a good idea. Good thing you started this one Jim. Hard to tell how long it woulda took me to think of that one. Usually I use the lone howl & announce my presence THEN raid the fridge. Seems a more likely scenario to raid the cupboards as quickly & quietly as possible before letting them know I'm in their house.  :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

coyotehunter_1

QuoteSometimes I think my problem is I overthink this game.

HaMer, I believe we are all guilty of that at times.  :laf:

I try to keep to the basics when calling but I'm not afraid to experiment. Sometimes by doing a few things differently we find a new trick that works. :wink:

Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

JDMiller

I'm guilty of overthinking it myself but this is an interesting thread.

My biggest problem has always been understanding coyote sounds ... basically what response is it the sound is triggering and when is the time to use it.

I've honestly not been one to switch distress sounds on a set-up but I have ended a set with a female howl. I've not had any luck but I dont think it would be an unreasonable situation. Using distress sounds then ending with KIYI is something I will try.