• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

USDA Forest Service Officer Shot, Killed While On Duty

Started by Jeb, March 07, 2010, 04:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeb

Bills Custom Calls

Hold on!!!!!  A Coyote's head would be somewhere around 2 ft off the ground,A man of average height lets say 5ft 6 inches one shot in the head dead instantly

It said they were equipped with night hunting equipment but it didn't say they were night hunting I think I smell a rat here
http://www.billscustomcalls.net

Home of the Triple Surface Pot Call

HaMeR

The shooting was around 11PM. I'm wondering if the Officer was doing the sneaky sneak on them & was crawling toward them.  :confused:  I hate that this happened for the the Officers Family but this aint no accident. To me it is more like irresponsibility on the shooters part.  :rolleye:

Thoughts & Prayers to the Upton Family.
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

slagmaker

Something don't sound right in Denmark. Wonder what the investigation will find?

My condolences to the family's involved.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

KySongDog

That is very sad.   :sad:  My condolences to that officer's family. 

Quote from: Bills Custom Calls on March 07, 2010, 05:42:22 AM

It said they were equipped with night hunting equipment but it didn't say they were night hunting I think I smell a rat here

Bill, it happened at 11pm, they were night hunting. 

Hawks Feather

Anytime there is a hunting accident it is a cause for concern.  That being said, I don't think of these to as hunters since they failed one of the first requirements of hunting - knowing the target.  Condolences definitely to the Officer's family.

Jerry

Bills Custom Calls

Somebody needs to clue me in here
high-powered rifle equipped with night vision

Does night vision allow you to see the shape of your target or does it just show you something warm blooded is there  :shrug: I don't know because I have never used it

When my eyes got to the point that they wouldn't let me see in the night very well even with a flash light I gave up one of my great passions (coon hunting) because I always wanted to be sure of my target

If you need all these fancy gadgets to hunt then you have no business being in the woods after dark

Coulter

What a shame...I don't know what the circumstances were, but it doesn't really matter. There is absolutely no excuse for mistaking a human for any game.

Bill this is what night vision allows a user to see....

I'm questioning the legality of using night vision for coyotes in Georgia. I did a quick search and couldn't find anything. I know its not legal here in PA, I'm not sure about other states though. If they are illegal the hunters should be charged with involuntary manslaughter or negligent homicide. That's not a hunting accident if they aren't legally hunting.

Steve

CCP

QuoteI'm questioning the legality of using night vision for coyotes in Georgia.

Night vision and thermal imaging is getting common place there hog hunting. Seems the guys are starting to use it for coyote hunting.

The contest they had down in South GAlast month had some guys with a lot of high dollar night vision stuff. It has been the buzz since that contest and seems alot of people were wanting to try it.  :rolleye:

This is a very,very sad tragedy that could have been avoided. :rolleye: Unfortunately as the coyote hunting craze gets bigger we are going to see more people out there at night that don't belong there. Wasn't there a coyote/fox hunter shot just last year??
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Bills Custom Calls

So By using night vision there would be no mistake on what was in front of the gun

CCP

QuoteSo By using night vision there would be no mistake on what was in front of the gun

Night vision does make the eyes glow thing is no one should be just shooting at glowing eyes. Every hunter should know what those glowing eyes are attached too before pulling the trigger.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Jimmie in Ky

I've personally seen gen 2 night vision. while not the best available now it was good enough to tell the diference in animals even on the darkest night. I too smell a rat . Jimmie

GunDog

I pray for all involved in the situation.

QuoteI'm questioning the legality of using night vision for coyotes in Georgia.
It is perfectly legal to hunt coyotes with night vision in Georgia. It may be changing now and I personally would welcome the new law, but, that is another story.

QuoteNight vision does make the eyes glow
The equipment I've owned and used would only make the animals eyes "glow" if you were using the optic with IR. With that being said I don't own - nor have I ever looked through the Gen4 stuff on the market today.

QuoteSo By using night vision there would be no mistake on what was in front of the gun
Absolutely FALSE! There is no NV that I am aware of that can see further that a high-powered rifle will shoot. This is the reason I'd go along with a new law restricting it's use!

I use NV sometimes in areas that I know like the back of my hand. It would be very hard for me to go into these areas and loose track of where I'm at and which direction I could shoot in safely. After acquiring and using NV optics and even setting my son up with the same stuff I was using I've quit - and so has he. There is no way you can safely send a bullet from an high-powered rifle down range into complete darkness (even if it is 200 yards out) 100% SAFELY - IMHO! 

Here are two of my little setups that have been permanently retired from coyote hunting at night. The top rifle is a 243win. The bottom a 22-250.

FozzyBear

I have to say what every one is thinking? Did they hit what they were amying at.   :confused:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         :sad: My thought & paryers to the Upton family  :sad: