• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Close but no cigar!!!

Started by SCcoyotehunter, March 17, 2010, 07:33:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCcoyotehunter

Hawg and I started out by sighting in our rifles yesterday. For about an hour and a half we shot several different rifles including our coyote rifles. We were all dialed in and ready for an afternoon hunt. It was about 6:30pm. We eased into a cow pasture with a fenceline dividing the cows from a hay field where upon a recent scouting trip, I found where coyotes have taken up residence in a nearby hay barn. The setup was near a corral, where the farmer feeds the cows. I set up on one side of the fence and Hawg was inside a woodline watching the corral area on the other side of the fence. I could see down in the woods also about 50 yds. I was 100 yds from the woodline.
I started out with a couple Howls and then moved right into the snowshoe distress. I like this sound because it has a lot of emotion. Growls, squeals, etc. Once the caller started going I could feel the ground starting to rumble a little as a whole heard of cattle charged toward my decoy, almost running slam over Hawg, I think he was a little shook up. I stuck with the same sound, pausing every 45-60seconds for 60 seconds. I had not been calling very long when I noticed a heard of deer haulin @$$ through the woods. I knew the coyotes were on the move. It was not long when I spotted a blonde coyotes sneaking through the woods, trying to get a closer look without exposing himself. When he got behind a group of trees I positioned my shooting sticks and began to settle my crosshairs where I anticipated him to appear next. But before I could aquire my total satisfaction of pulling the trigger on this blondy, KAWAHM!!!! Hawg shoots! And cows went everywhere. I played a wounded coyotes for a minute and let things settle a little and then right back into the snowshoe distress. I just kept thinking, hes coming back. But he never did. After about ten minutes of silence, I could hear Hawg whistling to get my attention.
His story is he looked up above the coral and there stood a coyote about 200 yds away. He was looing back and forth from the caller to down in the woods where my coyote I could see was. Back and Forth, then, he took two steps backwards, Hawg new this was it, so he fired. The coyote bolted like lightening out of the field towards the wood line and down in the woods.
It was a clean miss, we looked very hard for about 30 minutes without finding any sign of a hit.
It was just hard luck. We did do some howling on the way home and got a few to answer but they were way off. I think Hawg is still licking his wounds. I have not heard much from him today.

yellow dot= blondy
purple dot = hawgs coyote
Green dot= Hawg's position
Blue dot= SCCH's position
Red dot caller and decoy
Blue semi-circle= cows surrounding caller
Red circle= hay barn where coyotes been living

pitw

Love your story cause I was there with you. :highclap:  Sorry about the lost opportunity but hey you got out there :biggrin:
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

That little hayshed is shoved right into the woodline isnt it. No wonder they like it so well.

Let the place cool off, and then when you return change up your approach.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

GunDog

Great story SCcoyotehunter. It sure beats setting at home in the rain. Thanks for sharing.  :wink:

clynn

kyfuzzyface

Good story , Getum next time
Fuzzy

JohnP

Good story and I like the illustration.  I'm going to have to learn how to do that.  By the way cigars aren't good for ya :laf:
When they come for mine they better bring theirs