• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

Nice little old Harley Davidson

Started by Bopeye, April 02, 2010, 05:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bopeye

I was at my brother's Father in laws house today and we were trying to find his impact wrench to change the rear breaks, when I saw this little gem. I thought some of you boys might like seeing it.  :wink:
It's a 1973 Harley Davidson. I think he called it a "Sprint", but not too sure about that. It's all original including the tires. It has less than 2000 original miles on it. He bought it new in '73 and has rode it very little. He has a couple others street bikes setting around there, more like you see folks cruising on vacation. This little fella just caught my eye. Hope you all enjoy. I almost forgot, I think he said it was a one cylinder, but I might be wrong about that.  :shrug:

Original tires.

Foxpro Staff Infection Free

iahntr

That's cool Bop !
A buddy of mine had one when we were younger,
man we used to about kill ourselves on those things.
What size was that one do ya know ?
Scott

FinsnFur

Wow, I hope American Pickers dont see this  :yoyo:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

LORDDAL

shame to see it collecting dust like that tell him he should send it on over my way got all kinds of places we can ride one of them  :biggrin:
there's something you better understand about me, 'cause it's important and one day your life may depend on it. I am definitely a madman with a box!

Proud member of Bills Custom Calls Pro Staff

pitw

Now there is something else I know nothing about  :doh2:.  Thanks for taking the time to take the pic and show it to us Bop :bowingsmilie:. I'm officially now learning. :innocentwhistle:
I say what I think not think what I say.

slagmaker

Yep that would be a sprint. Single cylinder and I belive they were 250's but I cant rmember.

Nice little collectors item hes got there. Would love to have one in my herd. Nice little bikes. Harley/AMF put them out in the early 70's as a response to the metric stuff that was gaining a market.
Don't bring shame to our sport.

He died for dipshits too.

GunDog

Bop - looks like an old "flat track" sprint and I think there were several different models up to 400cc of that bike over the years. I'm no expert on them but would love to have it in my barn to show off! Thanks for sharing with us!  :wink:

Bopeye

Not exactly sure about the size. I do know that he thought they were built from '61 to '75, but he wasn't completely sure of that. I even mentioned the American Pickers and asked what he would take for the bike. Now you'd just have to know this guy, very likeable, but very serious all at the same time. He looked at me, smiled a little and said, "Son, you haven't made enough money in your life yet to buy that bike". I reckon he meant it wasn't for sale.  :laf:
I found that kind of funny though, since my brother told me that he allowed him to ride it a few years ago. That's hilarious, because if he knew how many bikes my brother had wrecked, he wouldn't have allowed the boy in the garage, much less near that bike.  :eyebrownod:

5 SHOTS

It seems to me that mine was a '78 (I could be mistaken) it was a 250. Mine was froze-up when I got it. I tore it down and then spent the next 8 or 10 years trying to find parts. They were made in Italy and they had a metric crank shaft with an inch connecting rod, so the only bearings that would work were the original equipment. Roller bearings all the way through too. The rings were an odd size too, but a person might have been able to get rings for a slightly larger piston and grind the ends off a little to make them work. Mine ended up in boxes for a long time and then it was stolen from my garage.
sometimes I wonder....is that getting closer..... then it hits me

I had a personal conflict the other day, now I'm not speaking to myself.... I'm getting lonesome

I met the girl of my dreams, I was the man of her dreams too.....she used the term "nightmares" though.

slagmaker

The Sprints are highly collectable. I know a lady that has one as her daily rider. In fact she rides it on the poker runs with all the big bikes and no one gives her any grief.

Bopeye

Dang Art!! I hate some chicken crap Obamanite stole your bike right out of your garage. That just sucks.

What do you guys think this bike would be worth? Just give me a rough guess if you can. I'd love to try my hand at buying and then doing like the American Pickers do and flip it real quick to someone that collects them.  :innocentwhistle:

I know, I know, I'm a rotten, sorry fat boy.  :biggrin:

slagmaker

Need some info
Engine displacement
Model year

then maybe we can figure out a starting price

Looks like the 350 super sprints go for about $1,800 on ebay.

GunDog

QuoteWhat do you guys think this bike would be worth?

Bop it would depend on several things as Slag has said, and also on how bad someone really wanted it. I'd guess you have probably made enough money in your life to buy a barn full slap of them if you really wanted one. You can find them around reasonable to say the least, parts is another thing. Now if I had one in my barn in as good of condition as this one with the low miles, it would be worth a mint!

Check out this link .... http://www.hdsprint.com/Forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=12

Do you know how funny you (or me) would look on one of those ... :innocentwhistle: ... you need you a big boy bike dude! :eyebrow:

msmith

Thanks Bop! Haven't seen one of them in years. My neighbor had one and took me for a ride when I was a kid. Brings back some memories.  :yoyo:
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI

KySongDog

It was made in Italy by Aermacchi.   AMF slapped Harley's name on it.  I had one of the SX250's  back in '74 I think.  POS as far as a bike goes.  But they are collectable today.  I junked mine. 

Bopeye

Quote from: Semp on April 06, 2010, 09:54:16 PM
It was made in Italy by Aermacchi.   AMF slapped Harley's name on it.  I had one of the SX250's  back in '74 I think.  POS as far as a bike goes.  But they are collectable today.  I junked mine. 

I was wondering when you were goiing to chime in here Sunshine.  :laf:

I guess by everything I've read here, he can keep the bike. That's what I love about all you guys, you just sugar coat the hell outta stuff.  :alscalls: