• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Rock Garden

Started by JohnP, May 05, 2010, 04:28:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnP

Since I'm not very mobile anymore the wife wheels me out to the rock garden every morning for my morning coffee.  Most mornings I'll have the camera along just in case something decides to show up.  Our new dog on most mornings joins me and lays either under "the chair" on on one of the larger rocks.

His name is Dudly, but I call him Dud or Coyote bait. 

Male Mearns Quail at our Bed and Breakfast Cafe.

Scaled Quail.

Woody checking me out.

Dam rock rat, and I don't have the 10/22 with me!!

Peter Cotton Tail.

Blue jay in the unfinished portion.

My stand.

When they come for mine they better bring theirs

HaMeR

That looks like a purdy cool place to enjoy your breakfast Mr John.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

I guess you have a mix of cottontails out there then. I woulda figured just the jackrabbits in your area. I see I'm wrong.  :laf: :laf:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Carolina Coyote

Yes Sir that looks like a great way to have breakfast, enjoying the Wildlife, I love all the signs and was wondering where you got those. cc

FinsnFur

" My stand"   :laf: :wink:
Thats pretty cool John. I think I could sit there quite a while myself.

Whats that perforated log looking snakeskin like thingy ding hanging above the Bed & Breakfast sign?
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

pitw

Company like that for breakfast, dinner and supper would be hard to beat anywhere :wink:.  Thanks for inviting them in and sharing with us.
I say what I think not think what I say.

JohnP

Quote from: Carolina Coyote on May 05, 2010, 05:51:25 PM
I love all the signs and was wondering where you got those. cc

As John Madden use to say "ACE is the place."

JohnP

Jim - That would be a dead and dried and skinned Ocotilla stalk.  Third picture down a little left of center shows some live ones.

Hawks Feather

That looks really peaceful and would be an excellent place to enjoy coffee in the morning.

Jerry

HuntnCarve

Now I know why I'm a coffee lover.  Thanks for the beautiful photos John.  :highclap:

Dave

KySongDog

Very nice sanctuary.   :congrats:

iahntr

Very nice place ya got there John !  :congrats:
Scott

Tikaani

Nice place John, lots of critters.  Funny I was enjoying the pictures of sunshine and nice weather as I watch it snow here, two inches so far, actually had to start a fire in the wood stove.  Thanks for sharing and reminding me that there is sunshine out there.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

coyote101

Nice little sanctuary there Mr. JohnP. Thanks for sharing with us. I hope you get mobile again soon.

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

vvarmitr

Rock rat? Is that anything like a tree rat? :wo:

It's one thing to have a rock garden, but to have wildlife wondering around in it is awesome!  :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing. :biggrin:

JohnP

Quote from: vvarmitr on May 06, 2010, 07:54:02 AM
Rock rat? Is that anything like a tree rat? :wo:

It's one thing to have a rock garden, but to have wildlife wondering around in it is awesome!  :biggrin:

Thanks for sharing. :biggrin:

I/We refer to our ground squirrels as rock rats since that is where most of them live.  They are really a pest and considered vermin out here.  Thought of in the same way farmers thinks of ground hogs to be shot on sight. 

Jimmie in Ky

I love it John. No wonder you anguished so over leaving it.  I am digging those caution signs and wondering where you got them.

I ticked off a chicken snake with the lawnmower earlier this week . He lost the fight with it and clogged my grass catcher. Derned fool didn't even give me time to stop the mower and let him move on. I hated it that he died since I too am run over by rats. The field rat kind that are a real pia. Jimmie

JohnP

Quote from: Jimmie in Ky on May 07, 2010, 12:10:04 PM
I love it John. No wonder you anguished so over leaving it.  I am digging those caution signs and wondering where you got them.

Found them at Ace Hardware.  Carolina Coyote was also asking about them.  If you can't find them at your local store and want one or more let me know and I'll pick some up out here for you.  I think they cost around $14.00, not sure.  

I too hate to kill our snakes as they do a great job on rodent control.  If I find a Gopher snake out in the desrt I'll make an attempt to catch and and bring it home into the rock garden.  Not only keeps the rats, mice and squirrels out but also takes care of the rattlesnakes. 

Okanagan

John, what a treasure of a place!  I grew up in desert and my Mom had us make a rock garden that she loved and I thought was awfully pretty.  Thanks for sharing those pics.  I'm glad you have such a place so accessible.

Yotehntr

So much to see there! Really enjoyed the pics John!  Thanks for sharing!  :yoyo:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

msmith

Luv your garden John!  :yoyo: It's beautiful and very interesting. I don't care for snakes, but I hate to kill them. Momma got miffed at me one time as I found a nice black rat snake in the yard just outside the barn while mowing. He went a little over 5' long. I couldn't shoo him along, so I picked him up and tossed him across the road into the hay field so's the better half wouldn't chop him into multiple pieces with a shovel.  :laf: She caught me, and about chopped me into multiple pieces with the shovel.
Mike

MONTANI SEMPER LIBERI