• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

A little gift for our friend "John P."

Started by HuntnCarve, June 18, 2010, 09:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntnCarve

A while back I got this PM from our friend “John P.” 

“Dave - I have a cow horn that I have had for many years.  I'm not sure how I came about it but I think it may be off of one of the kids 4-H projects or I just found it laying out in the field.  However that may be I was thinking maybe you could make me another howler with it.  Doesn't have much color to it and it's kinda rough to say the least.”

Anyway, right before he left for his surgery, he slipped this horn into the mail for me.  Upon receiving the cow horn, I found it in pretty rough shape, and thin in the walls.  So I had to use a little finesse on the sander.. Well, here’s some pictures to show you the progress.

Above is the horn as I received it.

The pneumatic sander and a few minutes, gently eased it into something a little more presentable.

(Above) Seems a desert insect varmint had a go at this horn?

(Above) No problem!  A little CA glue and some horn dust fixed it right up.

Here’s the sanded horn(Above).

Toneboard cut in, and final sanding (Above).

It was a little too thin to carve on, so a simple scrimshawed scene completed the package.

Here’s the finished howler.  “A gift” from one friend to another. 

In the meantime.  Hope the surgery went well, and that you get back on your feet, and out into the AZ desert that you love.  Hopefully this howler will accompany you on your future adventures.  We’ll all be expecting some pictures at that time.  I’ll get it in the mail and on its way.  Gods speed in your recovery my friend!

HuntnCarve
Dave

HaMeR

Now that's a rags to riches story there Dave!! I like the coloring of that horn!! Very nice work on a delicate piece & the scrimshaw looks purdy darn good as well!! Mr John is really gonna like that howler!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Yotehntr

:yoyo:  Quite a treasure there!  :yoyo:   Very cool Dave!
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

GunDog

HaMer nailed it with the rags to riches comment. Dave ya do have a way with those ugly horns. I'll bet that Mr John will put it to good use also.   :wink:

BigB

Dave, I am sure JohnP will absolutely cherish that call.  You sure made a gem out of that old crusty horn!

Brian
hand call user primarily, but if you gotta use an e-caller, there ain't nothing that sounds better than a Wildlife Tech

Todd Rahm

Thanks for the step by step Dave, and a typical gesture from one of the hobbies class acts.  :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie: :bowingsmilie:

The calls and howlers that mean the most to folks are the ones that have meaning behind them, either in the way they came about the materials to the bond they have with the maker.  ;yes;

Nice job and congrats John.  :congrats:

alscalls

Very Cool Dave!

A nice thing for a nice fella from a nice fella!   Very Cool indeed.... :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

pitw

UNBELIEVABLE
I say what I think not think what I say.

coyote101

NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

Carolina Coyote

Its amazing what a little sanding and polishing can do in the hands of an expert, fantastic job Dave.  :congrats: cc

FinsnFur

Only in the hands of the miracle man :bowingsmilie:
That is so cool. And I can only imagine how appreciative Johns going to be.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Hawks Feather

Dave,

Once again your true colors show.  Who, except for you, would have known what was hidden away inside a really ratty looking horn.  Nice work and I too think that John will be very happy.

Jerry

Tikaani

Dave.

Once again your generosity shines through, you are a class act Dave.  The howler is unbelievable and I am sure John will treasure it.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

Silencer

That will brighten his spirits, nice work Dave  :yoyo:

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

possumal

Dave, considering what you started with, this may be your best work ever.  I know John P will love that howler and have fun with it in the desert.  :congrats: :congrats:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

weedwalker

Dave, you did a fantastic job with that old horn. :congrats: :congrats: I'm sure John will just love it.

Bopeye

You never cease to amaze Dave!! You are DA MAN!!!  :yoyo: :highclap: :congrats:
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

Dave

What a great looking howler.  However, the real gift there is your freindship.

JohnP

Words cannot describe what Dave has done.  This is truly a master piece to those of us who enjoy this thing called predator calling.  I will forever be in his debt.  As I told him several weeks back I can't remember if I just found this horn out in the desert or if it came from one of the kids 4-H project.  This morning all the kids stopped by to see how dad was getting along and I showed them the howler.  All three of them claimed it came from one of their calves :nono:

P.S.  He also packed some extra goodies in the box, once again THANK YOU.
When they come for mine they better bring theirs