• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

New to coyote hunting in Southwestern PA

Started by clubmkred, August 10, 2010, 09:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clubmkred

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will do a lot more homework before going out next.

I am trying to order the Eastern Coyotes video but I keep getting an error... Error: PayPal returned: You do not have permissions to make this API call

It won't let me make a purchase. Can someone help?

alscalls

Someone will help ya soon or I will send ya mine. :wink:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

Frogman

clubmkred,

Welcome to the site!  I am a couple of hours south west of you near Parkersburg, WV!  A friend of mine on this site is close to you.  He is pabrushwolf on the foum.  He does not post much here but has attended the LBL Hunt the past three years.  He is quite experienced and hunts your area of PA.  You might try a PM to him! 

The guys on this forum are great and will be very helpful.  Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

coyotehunter_1

Quote from: clubmkred on August 11, 2010, 12:10:58 PM
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will do a lot more homework before going out next.

I am trying to order the Eastern Coyotes video but I keep getting an error... Error: PayPal returned: You do not have permissions to make this API call

It won't let me make a purchase. Can someone help?

ED,
CCP (aka Richard Baxter of Eastern Coyotes.com) is a moderator here on FnF. As a new member the Personal Message (PM) feature is turned off until you reach 25 posts. I'll be more than happy to give Richard a shout for you.  :wink:
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

FinsnFur

His API login credentials may not be correct Ed.

Since I'm his webmaster I removed the instant API check out process until him and I get together and get the correct info entered.
But until then if you click  on "New? Please Provide Your Billing Information", you shouldn't have any problems.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

clubmkred

Very cool. Thanks to you both. I'll give it a try.

clubmkred

Frogman,

Funny, small world. Mike has been hunting over my place. My next door neighbor worked with him through the boilermakers. Unfortunately, even though he has been here before, I have never had a chance to meet him myself.

Ed

clubmkred

Ok, succesfully ordered my copy of Eastern Coyotes.com Vol. 1!!!!!   :highclap:

alscalls

AL

CCP

Man am I running way behind on catching up on reading post been busy as all heck here lately. :doh2:

clubmkred, Got your order when I came home Fri afternoon and shipped you out this morning. I went ahead and overnighted it so you should have it in Mondays mail. Sorry for the troubles with the order on the website have it all fixed now.. :doh2:

Welcome to the board and look forward to reading some post of your successful hunts this year.
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

weedwalker

Welcome to the site Ed,
What I hunt here in eastern Ky is a lot like the area you live in. Mostly hills and woods. I do a lot of hunting inside the woods with a shotgun. In a way, it's similar to how people hunt fields. Where they set up and try to call coyotes out of the thickets into the field. The difference is, I try to find a big hardwoods where I have some visibility, maybe 50-75 yds, with thickets nearby. I set-up inside the more open woods and try to call coyotes out of the thickets into the woods where they feel more secure.
Some scouting ahead of time will help a lot. Look for places higher up on the ridges so you can call down to the coyotes. I don't like calling to coyotes above me. Call down into creek bottoms, briar or honeysuckle thickets, brushy fencerows, or any other thick cover that may hold a coyote. Look for the deer trails in the woods. The coyotes use them too. They'll take the path of least resistance most of the time.
Another reason I like to be up high is the wind. On top of the hills it will be more constant blowing the same direction. When you get down in the hollers, it swirls every which way. I don't always call with the wind in my face. I like a crosswind so when I'm set-up I can see more of my downwind side. That's usually where you'll see the coyote. A coyote may circle you a few hundred yards out in a field. But inside the woods I've had them circle me at 30 yds. Well within shotgun range.
The calls I use the most are rabbit distress, fawn distress, pup distress, and a few coyote vocals but mostly only after I've had a responce from one. I may howl on my 1st or 2nd stand early in the morning. But don't usually do it after that. The coyote vocals are barking or challenge howls to aggrivate one into coming in that might be hung up.
Hope this helps some. If there's anything else I can help you with just ask. I'll try.

Ed

clubmkred

CCP,

Oh man, there was no need to rush ship anything. Once FinsnFur made some adjustment to the website, it was all good. Anyways, thanks for going above and beyond. Hope to report on some hunting very soon.

Ed

clubmkred

Weedwalker,

Thanks for the tips.

I hope to start working with hand calls soon. Hard to practice as my dogs don't care for the noise (nether does my wife).

CCP

Very good info Weedwalker gave.

QuoteHard to practice as my dogs don't care for the noise (nether does my wife).

Your dogs will get used to it but the wife NEVER will.  :laf: Practice while on the highway it's the best place to do it but you will get some weird looks from other drivers in traffic.  :huh:
easterncoyotes.com

ccp@finsandfur.net

Bopeye

Quote from: CCP on August 14, 2010, 03:40:38 PM
Practice while on the highway it's the best place to do it but you will get some weird looks from other drivers in traffic.  :huh:

That's what I did. Use to carry a call with me and blow the crap out of it driving down the road. That also helps you learn to put the call in exactly like you want it without taking your eyes off the prey.  Get some ear plugs in the car as well. Some of those calls will dang near blow your eardrums out inside a car.  :eyebrownod:

Best of luck to you.
Foxpro Staff Infection Free

clubmkred

Ah, I can just see it now....

Trying to explain to the officer why I have ear plugs in my ears while driving... No, really officer, if you heard the sounds I make with this thing, you'd have earplugs in, too!

Oh ya, I'm going to drive around with all the windows down. Share the love!

FinsnFur

Just stay inside the car while you do it.
CCP hangs out the car window like a Saint Bernard while he's driving down the highway blowing a call, and he wonders why people stare.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

clubmkred

Quote from: FinsnFur on August 14, 2010, 10:31:33 PM
CCP hangs out the car window like a Saint Bernard while he's driving down the highway blowing a call, and he wonders why people stare.
Don't worry CCP, I'll be right there with ya

alscalls

I still blow my calls in the truck.... :laf:  You can see some cool things doing that..... :eyebrownod:
AL

pitw

Quote from: alscalls on August 15, 2010, 07:54:48 AM
I still blow my calls in the truck.... :laf:  You can see some cool things doing that..... :eyebrownod:
Especially if you have a jug of bubble soap open and handy :wink:.
I say what I think not think what I say.