• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

A Cold Morning Coyote

Started by KySongDog, December 28, 2010, 04:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KySongDog

It was a cold 19 degrees this morning.  I've had a cold for a few days but decided I was going hunting while there was still some snow on the ground.  On my third stand I had dropped over the edge of a steep ridge over looking a creek bottoms which was about 300 feet below.  This area was hit hard by the ice storm of 2009 and there was lots of branches and fallen limbs limiting visibility but the snow made seeing movement much easier.  

I stood in the shadows of a big tree with my gun on a mono pod.  There was no way to sit down and see anything. I had called for about 25 minutes when I saw the coyote down in the bottoms maybe 250-300 yards out.  If it wasn't for the white background I most likely never would've seen the coyote coming and probably never have gotten a shot.  The wind was blowing left to right and it was moving in to the wind.  I could just barely see bits and pieces of the coyote moving through the brush and then it disappeared in the thick stuff.  I waited about 5 minutes and then switched to another hand call.  

That did it.  She popped back out of the brush with just enough room that I could thread a 55 grain v-max through the limbs.  I hit her high on the right side and the bullet took a football size chunk out of her shoulder.  She dropped in her tracks.   :yahoo:

And here is a pic:

pitw

Right on Semp :yoyo: :yoyo:.  Dang that's tooooooooooo cold to be out hunting :laf: :laf:.
I say what I think not think what I say.

bambam

alscalls

WTG SEMP!   Thats a good looking blond one........ We keep getting males around here.......   :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

wked

Niiiice!  WTG Semp.  Pretty fair shootin' there too, by the way. :highclap: Started to go this morning and backed out.  :doh2:

coyote101

All right Semp, way to slay 'em.  :yoyo: :yoyo: Were you wearing the hat?

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

John_NY

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

KySongDog

iahntr

Scott

jdbp

way to go at least someone is putting critters on the ground!!

FinsnFur

Nice looking coyote too Semp. :yoyo: Nice job Bud!! :congrats:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Good hunt Semp!! I liked the pic & the video.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Seems it wouolda been nicer without the gun barrel sticking up in it tho.  :innocentwhistle:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Tikaani

Nice successful morning hunt, good going Semp.  I would say that it was cold there this morning but I would be lying LOL.  It was good to talk to you this morning.

John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

WldWldWest

Congrats Semp, Takes a real man to get out  when it's 19F! :bowingsmilie:

Good shooting as well!
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

Carolina Coyote

Way to go Semp, always good when things come together. That one looks like its furred up good.  :congrats:  :congrats: cc

Hawks Feather

Nice shot.  250 to 300 yards on a nice cold day is good shooting.  Since you are male and mentioned it in the video, I have to ask.  How did you "mark the tree"?   :wink:

Jerry

FinsnFur

He's right Semp. :laf:

QuoteI got the tree marked......
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

weedwalker

Way To Go Semp!! :congrats: Nice lookin coyote and video. :yoyo:

KySongDog

:laf:  No I didn't mark the tree THAT way!   :laf:  

I know where I was standing and from there I burned the image of the tree in my mind that the coyote was behind and also a couple of the snagged trees in between me and it.   That was so I could find it after coming down off that mini-mountain I was calling from.  It was purty thick down there.  :eyebrownod:  

Its the same as when you are early fall squirrel hunting and get to shooting several from different trees.  You best mark in your mind where each one falls or you might not find them.   :laf:

Jeb

Good job Semp !! Glad it worked out in that extreme cold.  :highclap:  :congrats: :congrats:
                                             Jeb