• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.

I just can't help myself......

Started by SCcoyotehunter, January 01, 2011, 09:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SCcoyotehunter

Well, its the 2nd to the last day of deer season, so I thought I would go deer hunting today. I walked into my stand which was a tripod looking over a heavily hunted field. Before getting into my satnd I set my digital caller in front of the stand about 50 yds.(just in case). After about an hour I caught a glimpse of something way up in the top of the field about 350 yards out. It was moving too fast to be a deer and I immediately knew what it was. So I reached in my pack, pulled out the trusty FoxPro remote and my deer hunt quickly changed to a coyote hunt.
I flipped up to the rabbit and let her wail. That coyote just bolted off the hill running straight to me and guys, this dude was committed. He was moving! It wasn't long he ran out of the  grass that was concealing him as he closed the distance. And he was out in the open now. Boom! down he goes, but I hit a little low and he wanted to get the heck outta there but I think he was in just too much pain, so I finished him. I shot him with a .270WSM at 150yds.

So now comes my deer story. After waiting for a couple hours after the coyote incidentI headedto get my truck and loaded him up and started out of there. I got like 50 yds from our gate to check out and just to my right is a grown up hayfield with some grass, small pines, briars, but open enough to see and shoot across. I look out there and this huge buck, I mean huge fellas, just stands up and starts to trot away. I slammed the truck in park (I am on our property and its a gated road by the way) and grab my rifle, he stops right behind a small pine. I can see his rear-end sticking out from the other side. I am aiming directly at the pine waiting for him to take one or two steps. He is at 100yds. Instead of a step or two, the buck starts into a gallop toward the treeline. The whole time I have him in my scope, with the crosshairs on him. I thought he's not running hard like he was scared just trotting away, he's gonna stop at the treeline. I do not believe in running shots so I didn't take one. Now, I am wishing I would have either shot at him through the pine(Which has never worked out well for me) or take the running shot(which I'm like 1/10).  I never fired a shot.
This deer was awesome, heavy and tall. Maybe, my wife will let me go have one more chance in the morning.
SCCH

KySongDog

Great story and congrats on the coyote!   :congrats:

In my experience I have found that I can't kill 'em if I don't shoot at 'em.   :eyebrownod:   

coyote101

Quote from: Semp on January 01, 2011, 10:04:47 AM
In my experience I have found that I can't kill 'em if I don't shoot at 'em.   :eyebrownod:   

I have found that I sometimes can't kill 'em if I do!  :mad2: :mad2:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

WldWldWest

Great shot on the Yote!

Proud of ya for not shooting at the Buck! What I have found out the hard way is If I dont feel comfortable in making a shot and I do anyway, Good things dont happen!

You'll get another chance!

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

alscalls

Quote from: coyote101 on January 01, 2011, 10:19:24 AM
Quote from: Semp on January 01, 2011, 10:04:47 AM

I have found that I sometimes can't kill 'em if I do!  :mad2: :mad2:

Pat

^^^^^^^^^
Been there....... this week   :eyebrownod:
AL

http://alscalls.googlepages.com/alscalls

vvarmitr

WTG on the coyote.  :thumb2:

It's been my experience that when they have their vitals hidden behind a tree & I'm waiting for 'em to take just one more step that next step is a launch for 90mph.  :mad3:

SCcoyotehunter

Quote from: vvarmitr on January 01, 2011, 01:11:34 PM
WTG on the coyote.  :thumb2:

It's been my experience that when they have their vitals hidden behind a tree & I'm waiting for 'em to take just one more step that next step is a launch for 90mph.  :mad3:
No kidding!! Especially the grown ones!

Frogman

WTG on that coyote!  Thanks for sharing the nice story.  Hopefully that big buck will be there next time!

Jim
You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!