• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

First Score with E/C

Started by Carolina Coyote, March 09, 2011, 06:28:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carolina Coyote

Went on a work weekend down in Georgia this past weekend  and stayed until today so that I could get in a little calling time with the new caller, I also baled up some Pine needles to put around the shrubby and it turned out to be a good weekend. Several weekends ago I had caught a Black Coyote in a trap but when I pulled up to the trap and got out of the car the Coyote went ballistic and while I was trying to get a shot on him he managed to get loose and ran off but I did get off a couple of round at him before he disappeared, though I hit him but could not find him, this weekend while riding around about 200 yards from where I shot at him I found him on the side of the road, Made me feel a lot better as I hate to let one get away and even worst I hate to miss. Now on to the calling we tried to get in one or two setups every morning and evening but it did not always work out so we ended up making 6 setups and in 3 of those setup we called in a Coyote, the first called in was at night and was unable to get a shot, the next call in we were set up next to a big tract of Pines on a field that had planted in pines about three years ago, I was looking down a road were I could see about 500 yards, about 20 minutes into the calling I saw a big Coyote down at the end of the road and about the same time I could hear vehicles in the big pines making a lot of noise and the Coyote ran on across the road out of site, about the same time my hunting buddy cut the caller off , he was to far away from me to signal him so I grabbed my Howler and started doing Pup distress calls for about the next 15 minutes but could not coach him back, the vehicles was a crew coming in to plow firebreaks to do a control burn, blew the setup and ruined my morning. The next call in was yesterday evening at about 5 o'clock. We had ran into one of the Farmers who works our place and he told us that he had been hearing Coyotes behind his house for several weeks and said it sound like a wild Indian camp when they lit up. So we went to where he said he was hearing them and after walking down the edge of the field to where we wanted to make the setup the wind started to hit our back so we pulled out and went to the other side of the area and the wind was perfect, we all (3 of us) pick out where we was going to sit and got situated waited for one of the other guys who had the remote to crank her up, sit there for about 10 minutes noting happened so I get up and walk down to the guy who had the remote and he gave me the doggonest look , he had forgot he had the remote, I thinking what else is gonna go wrong so I get the remote and go back and relocate the other guy and picked out another spot for my self, Cranked up the caller , started out with Howls, then Rabbit distress , more Howls , more distress and then turned on Adult Coyote fight  about a minute into that and then the sound I always like to hear the crack of a rifle, so I turned to Pup distress for a few minutes to see if anything else wanted a little lead snack, no takers so I waked down to my fried and he had a disappointed look on his face and game me a thumb down, I thinking not again? He started telling me the story and we stared looking and found the spot where he shot and found blood and body parts out of his stomach stared trailing him for about 200 yards and found 7 or 8 big spots of blood and body parts but could find him, its hard for me to believe that a dog could lose that much blood and still keep going but the blood trail started to get real thin and he was over on property that we did not have permission to hunt and we still had time to make another setup before dark so we let him die in peace.
That was the first kill with the new caller and right now I'm think this thing is gonna be good as out of about 12 setup we have seen 6 Coyotes, not a bad average. cc

pitw

Great story Carl.  Did you forget you owned a camera :innocentwhistle:.  Glad you enjoyed yourself cause that's what it's all about. ;yes;
I say what I think not think what I say.

FinsnFur

Holy cow Carl... :laf: :laf: I thought you set something down on top of your keyboard and forgot about it. :alscalls:

Seriously, sounds like you enjoyed yourself, which I'm glad to hear. Too bad you couldn't have found the critter but sounds like a good hit.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

HaMeR

Too bad you didn't find the coyote Carl. That always hurts. On the + side your new caller is brining them to the gun.  :biggrin:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

WldWldWest

"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

Carolina Coyote

Sorry about the no pictures, I did have it but just in to big of a hurry to try and get in another set before dark, it was great weekend and I really think the new caller is working so I hope to be posting some pictures soon.  :eyebrownod: cc

wv-outdoor