• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Spike's Gobbler

Started by Spike, May 09, 2011, 06:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spike

This is Dante and I just wanted to tell you about my turkey. I woke up Friday morning and got dressed up for school and while I was eating breakfast I saw a femail turkey come out of the bottoms. I looked to it's right and saw a gobbler folowing her. Then came another, and another , and one more. I said dad look there's 3 Gobblers and a hen. I said I'll go get changed and throw on some hunting clothes. I came running down the stairs and sprinted into the garage. I quickly got everything ready and we were headed out. We took a root through the woods on a deer trail and went across a stream. We jumped over a log and set up behind them. We got to a nice spot and started calling. We waited for about 10 minutes and didn't see a sign of them. Then suddenly they come running through the forest full speed. First came the hen, then the gobblers. We were set up in a spot that I had a perfect view of the right side, but I couldn't get a good look at them, suddenly the last one came out and I swung the 20 gage to the left and boom, the shotgun kicked back and I dropped him in his footsteps. We quickly ran up and swung it around and broke it's neck before it could fly away. We measured the beard and it was 10 in. We weighed it and it was 20 pounds. I was so excited. I was jumping up and down. I wanted to say thank you to Mr. Paul for letting me have the shotgun till I grow out of it. Thank you for letting me post this.

Dave

What a great job you did, Dante - I'm proud of you!  What a fun time we both had.

The birds were headed to a field out behind the house, and just past the field they are building a new highway.  I'm thinking the workers must've become visible to the birds and they came running back toward 'safety.'

Hawk's Feather, would this be a permissible excuse for being late to school?  Maybe if a second note were attached inviting the principle for morning hunt?

coyote101

Great job Dante!  :congrats: :congrats: And a wonderful story to boot.  :yoyo: :yoyo:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

FinsnFur

Nice work Buddy :yoyo: Thanks for sharing that story with us. :wink:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

bambam

HuntnCarve

Dante,

Way to go young man!  Dang you make me proud!! :congrats:  That's a heck of a first bird.
I know your dad is busting a gut with pride too!  I knew there was a turkey in that there shotgun.  Just needed the right hunter to wring it out.  As for an excuse for being late for school?  I'll write you up one.  Heck I even know a retired principal that I think I can cajole into authorizing it?  What say you Mr. Hawks Feather? :wink:
Once again, "Way to go Dante!" :yoyo:

Dave

Tikaani

Congratulations Dante, a fine turkey.  With pictures like that you can post anytime.   :congrats:
John
Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

shaddragger

:congrats: Way to go Dante! Great story and an AWESOME bird!  :highclap:
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

HaMeR

Congratulations on a fine bird Dante!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

FinsnFur

A quick note pertaining to the contest. While I am very happy that Spike (Dante) posted his success story, and the last thing I want to do is discourage other youth from doing the same, we've noticed that we have to disqualify Spikes entry for failing to meet the minimum post requirement, which was posted as 25.

That rule was actually put into place on contests way back when, to prevent onlookers from joining the forum to collect the prize loot and bail again. We want the contests to be for the distinguished members. Unfortunately it has impacted a few distinguished members like Spike though.

We have to make sure that these rules apply to everyone in order to be effective and fair. Making exceptions especially midstream will defeat the purpose.

I've spoke to Spikes Dad ahead of time, and I want to congratulate Spike one more time for that great story and harvest. We just unfortunately cannot include this one in the contest. Again. we dont want to discourage anyone, especially our youths from sharing those experiences with us.

And lastly, were trying to discuss this and come up with something we can encourage the youth and reward those entering the contest but falling short in post counts.
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Dave

Sorry to put the mods in this awkward position.  I thought he was ok to enter because I'm a regular member, and encouraged him to write up a post about his hunt.  He had drug his feet until I showed him the pic of Bambam's jawbone knife - and then he was on it. 
Well I explained it to Dante last night and he was dissappointed, but understands.
And me? well it got him to write a story of his hunt with dad, so I'm fine with it!  I've got a nice collection of memorable hunts written by my kids thanks to these FnF contests.

Spike

Hi, I just wanted to tell you guys that bambam is making me a knife. I can't believe myself that he is actually making me a knife. He said that he would have it done in about a week. I really wanted to say thank you to bambam for thinking of me. I am going to ask Mr Paul if he can make me a plaque for the knife so I can have it up in my bedroom. I also want to say thank you to the people who set the contest up. Dante

Dave

I, too, thank you bambam.  What a generous offer you made to my son.  What a sweet looking knife.  I can't thank you enough for bailing me out of this one.

shaddragger

:wink: :congrats: Classy gesture, Bambam! Spike earned it.
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

bambam

Thanks guys, you are very welcome, I just hope you like it.

coyotehunter_1

Spike, I want to thank you for posting your field report and photos, great job. The above posts were moved from the contest thread because you deserve your own thread here on FnF.

I would also like to personally thank you for your understanding. This shows a high level of maturity on your part, for this I commend you. :highclap:

Chet
Please visit our ol' buddies over at: http://www.easterncoyotes.com

Born and raised in the southern highlands of Appalachia, I'm just an ol' country boy who enjoys calling coyotes... nothing more, nothing less.

FOsteology

I for one enjoyed your hunt report and pictures Dante. That's a really nice bird. Congrats!

hunter724

congrats great bird and a long weekend... :highclap:

HuntnCarve

Thank you bambam for treating my young friend so well.  Like the others said, it's a truly fine gesture on your part.  I know Dante will not forget it, nor I.  As for a plaque to display the knife?  I would be honored to build you one Dante.  Perhaps you will even let me display it, along with your gobbler tail & beard here at my house? :eyebrow:  -Oh well, it was worth a try! :laf:

Dave

bambam

Thanks again guys but it makes me feel good to  do this, it is an honor for me. the knife is ready and I will ship it tomorrow. Hope you like it Dante.