• Welcome to FinsandFur.net Forums.
Main Menu

Down, 6'2" Black Bear (Pics)

Started by Tikaani, May 29, 2011, 03:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tikaani

I will start by saying I did not shoot this bear.  A few days ago, through chance I met a young man who is serving our country and stationed here in Alaska.  He is fairly new to hunting and this year is his first year hunting black bears.  He has received some help down in Anchorage, but was struggling, his site had yet to bring in a bear and he was at a loss as what he should do.  He walks into his site since he does not have an ATV and is motivated to get himself a bear, I have never forgotten what it was like to not have the equipment and the knowledge it takes to be successful up here hunting big game, I remember when  someone who barely knew me showed me the ropes and what it took to be a consistant hunter in Alaska, to this day he is a very close friend.  I felt compelled to show this young serviceman what I know and to give him an opportunity at his bear.  As those who have read my previous posts know I have bears of all sizes coming in to my site, so I figured he had a chance.  I called him and made him an offer and he left Anchorage shortly after he hung up and drove six hours to get here.

We went in last night later than usual since the weather has been hot and having looked at all the pictures from the trail cam I knew that the bigger bears came in later when things had cooled down.  At 1:46 he connected with this fine 6'2" sow, a nice trophy to be sure.  It made my day to see him for hours afterwards still amazed that he had his bear and that a stranger gave him the chance.  As always.....

Hunt Hard, Die Tired
John 

Growing Old Ain't for Pussies.

HaMeR

Determination, willingness, & a fine man put that bear down!! Congratulations to your new hunting Friend on a fine bear & to you as well for passing along the knowledge you have gained over the years both from others & thru trial & error. I bet that young man will be smiling for decades to come. Well done Tik!!!!  :yoyo: :yoyo:
Glen

RIP Russ,Blaine,Darrell

http://brightwoodturnings.com

2014-15 TBC-- 11

Hawks Feather

That had to make you feel good.  Maybe not quite as good as getting one yourself, but darn close.  You did a great service.

Jerry

weedwalker

That was a GREAT deed you did to help out that young man John. :congrats: :congrats:
He'll be telling the story about you the rest of his life. :yoyo:

FOsteology

That was an extremely nice gesture and deed you did for that young soldier.

No doubt that young man is happy with his bear, and likely learned a tip or two from you that will help him connect with another bear later on down the road.

Kudo's!  :congrats:

coyote101

You are the man John, and I salute you.  :congrats: :congrats:

Pat
NRA Life Member

"On the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions who, at the dawn of decision, sat down to wait, and waiting died." - Sam Ewing

hunter724

Okanagan

Hy John!  Good on you all the way around!  6' 2" is a whopper of a sow anywhere I've ever been.  They usually have better coats also.

Hope you enjoy twice the satisfaction of having a fine young man get that bear, and it sounds like you are.

possumal

John, I'd bet without hesitation that helping that young fellow get a great bear is more satisfying than shooting one yourself.  Kudos to you and the young man.  That is about as good as it gets.  :congrats: :congrats:
Al Prather
Foxpro Field Staff

KySongDog

Congrats to the young man!   :congrats:   You've got a good heart, John. 

FinsnFur

Yeah, he might not ever forget what you done for him John. That was pretty cool.
Even helped him skin it out I see. :sneer:
Fins and Fur Web Hosting

Custom built websites, commercial/personal
   Online Stores
   Domain Names
   Domain Transfers
   Free site maintenance & updates

http://finsandfurhosting.com

Tikaani

Yea Jim, we'll say I helped him LOL.  No, he had never skinned anything that was heading to a taxidermist so we had class the whole time, did not split the lips, ears, nose or tail.  He was taking it to the taxi when he got home, I had been up two days at that point, was very tired and did not want to make a mistake with the detail work.

John

Tikaani

Also thanks everyone for all the kind words.

John

shaddragger

:congrats: You're a good man John. Both of you will carry the memories of traditions passed on forever!
Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt your kids!
Allen

Coulter

That is literally just as good, if not better, than shooting it yourself John. Way to go man. Its not about the kill, its about the experience, camaraderie and knowledge he will have with him the rest of his life. Nice bear too.

Steve

Dave

I clicked on the "recent posts" thread bringing me to the bottom of this thread.  Scrolling up, I right away notice a familiar garage/butcher station from iahunter's Alaskan adventure, and thought there's going to be a good story here.  Well, you certainly didn't disappoint.  Thanks for sharing it with us.  :congrats:

WldWldWest

Great Bear! Good for you John for taking that young man out and showing him the ropes, I'm sure you made a friend for life! :congrats:

Doug
"Choot...Choot em Jacob!"

!

Frogman

You can't kill 'em from the recliner!!

Yotehntr

:yoyo:  Awesome!  Good on the both of ya!   :congrats:
Yotehntr calls... put something pretty on your lips :wink:

HuntnCarve

I can't add much more than already has been said by the rest of the fellas.  A very nice gesture on your part John.  But heck, we would not expect less from you. :highclap: 
After we hunt hard, and die tired.. We'll take with us the friendships that have been cast for eternity.

Dave